Diabetic and Weight Loss Motivational Circle

Options
I am type 2 diabetic I just was diagnosed and January and I am 179 pounds I would like to lose and get to 150 first goal I would also like to lower my A1c... I am fighting hard because I love carbs

Replies

• izthisme
    izthisme Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :)
  • jodie5277
    jodie5277 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat.. just got put back on insulin :( and i am trying to loose some more weight too so, that maybe the doctor will take me off the insulin... Let's help each other have heather life and live longer
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    This is a nice group..it's helpful to be part of a community that understands!

Welcome to MFP :smiley:
  • DuckDuckDuck
    DuckDuckDuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi, while getting a pap the nurse practitioner happened to notes my glucose numbers (Fasting 133) from a test I got the week before for insurance. She said oh you have diabetes. Just watch your carbs, don't eat alot of fruit or drink juice, and check your sugar twice a day. I left the Dr. feeling overwhelmed, confused, angry, sad, and lost. And after two days on the internet I am about the same. lol I still have no idea how to "watch my carbs" Can I have them once a day? only good carbs? keep them under 150grams? Have a small amount five times a day? lol Then there things like check your sugar???? When? How? Where is the best place to get a meter and all the junk that go's with it. Then there is life. like real life. I am a mom. I am taking the youth group away next weekend. How will I eat??? My sons wedding. Will I eat cake? grrrrr this stinks. lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi, while getting a pap the nurse practitioner happened to notes my glucose numbers (Fasting 133) from a test I got the week before for insurance. She said oh you have diabetes. Just watch your carbs, don't eat alot of fruit or drink juice, and check your sugar twice a day. I left the Dr. feeling overwhelmed, confused, angry, sad, and lost. And after two days on the internet I am about the same. lol I still have no idea how to "watch my carbs" Can I have them once a day? only good carbs? keep them under 150grams? Have a small amount five times a day? lol Then there things like check your sugar???? When? How? Where is the best place to get a meter and all the junk that go's with it. Then there is life. like real life. I am a mom. I am taking the youth group away next weekend. How will I eat??? My sons wedding. Will I eat cake? grrrrr this stinks. lol
    @DuckDuckDuck

Did she refer you to someone that could help explain more about Diabetes, how it works, getting a meter, when to test etc? That would help so much for you to have some idea on what your numbers were as it helps to know how to plan your meals etc. Exercise really helps my numbers stay low. With a Doctors referral the classes below would be available depending on what size area you lived in.

There are classes at most hospitals and health care centers that are insurance covered (some are available reduced rate). They are ever so helpful when you're first diagnosed. It can be sooo overwhelming to learn of your diagnosis and so confusing, I understand, I remember it well. So many new rules etc. Things settle down after awhile when you get into a routine. :wink:
  • ravjit2
    ravjit2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone ! I have returned to MFP after 4 years. My name is Ravi & I would really like to have your support on my new diabetes type 2 diagnosis given to me during my chemo (June 2015) fighting breast cancer stage 3. I am in remission now & had to go on a start rite 3 day diabetes education course..I am now on metformin 1 tablet twice a day & need to lose weight again, so that I can recover from my treatments well. My last treatment was August 2016. But I'm taking each day as it comes. Wish me luck !
  • locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ravjit2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone ! I have returned to MFP after 4 years. My name is Ravi & I would really like to have your support on my new diabetes type 2 diagnosis given to me during my chemo (June 2015) fighting breast cancer stage 3. I am in remission now & had to go on a start rite 3 day diabetes education course..I am now on metformin 1 tablet twice a day & need to lose weight again, so that I can recover from my treatments well. My last treatment was August 2016. But I'm taking each day as it comes. Wish me luck !

wishing you success in your recovery , and good luck!