Indoor Bike Trainer Stands for Long Distance Cycling

Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
edited September 30 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone tried the Bell indoor trainer stand for long distance indoor cycling training? Thoughts/reviews?

My knees are getting mad from training on the Lifecycle at the gym and my chiro suggested using a trainer with my road bike because that has more adjustment capabilities.. I'm not interested in blowing $300 for the Kinetic by Kurt. I don't care how good it is..

If you like one that's comparably priced to the Bell, I'll take those suggestions too..

ie this

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bike+trainer&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1648&bih=986&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14020716571920771805&sa=X&ei=urolTsj7Ho66sQO72PjnCA&ved=0CJcBEPMCMAE#ps-sellers

Thanks!

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Bike trainers are one of those things that you kinda get what you pay for. That being said, I've seen some killer deals on eBay and Craigslist. I think REI has a couple in their clearance outlet too....
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I have the kinetic (we actually have 2) and have tried others. It is worth the money, by far training on it is better than the others I've used. I have not tried the Bell. I'd shop around. This time of year a lot of people are getting rid of their trainers.
  • I have a Cycle Ops and I love it!! Trained on it through the entire winter and really hot days. Its easy to get on it and watch the news in the morning. I paid $199.99 total for it and it came with the trainer block for climbing.

Hope this helps good luck!!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    I've had the Cycle Ops and Kinetic. worth every penny. sorry that doesn't answer your question.
  • Yeah I understand the Kinetics are worth the money and I get what I pay for, but I'm trying to do an Ironman in another country, buy a house in Los Angeles, and get married all within 10 months. :-D

So if I buy a trainer, it's coming out of my monthly food budget.. Im eyeing Craigslist but for all of Los Angeles, I only see 2 hits. 1 Kinetic ($300) and 1 Bell ($40)..
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    I have to search in lots of different ways:

cycling trainer
    bicycle trainer
    bike trainer
    stationary trainer
    stationery trainer (yeah, most can't spell!)
    bike stand
    cycle ops
    mag trainer
    etc.....
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 778 Member
    Hi, there! I have been using an indoor trainer for several years now. My husband bought me a basic $79-99 model...can't remember the name brand - and I'm at work). It was great, but after a couple of years, I needed a new "toy". So I invested in the Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll Trainer. It's a great simulation of outdoor riding with a hefty price tag, too. Approx $500. Funny thing - I have both trainer set up at home, but I have my bike mounted to the lower end model. Who knows...for some reason I feel more comfortable on that one.

One BIG suggestion. get some Spinervals DVD's from Coach Troy Jacobson. He is amazing & before you know it, you have been pedalling for an hour-plus & are sweating intensely.

I would like to be your friend & share our same interests.

Good luck!

Stacey
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    DON'T BUY THE BELL
    it'd be like trying to do your Ironman on a Walmart bike. If you absolutely must ride a trainer as opposed to actually riding your bike, it is definitely worth it to pay more and get the Cycleops.
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Hi, there! I have been using an indoor trainer for several years now. My husband bought me a basic $79-99 model...can't remember the name brand - and I'm at work). It was great, but after a couple of years, I needed a new "toy". So I invested in the Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll Trainer. It's a great simulation of outdoor riding with a hefty price tag, too. Approx $500. Funny thing - I have both trainer set up at home, but I have my bike mounted to the lower end model. Who knows...for some reason I feel more comfortable on that one.

One BIG suggestion. get some Spinervals DVD's from Coach Troy Jacobson. He is amazing & before you know it, you have been pedalling for an hour-plus & are sweating intensely.

I would like to be your friend & share our same interests.

Good luck!

Stacey

Good info............
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    We have Travel Trac from Performance Bike. Never used anything else so I dont know. Its sturdy and does what needs to be done. Looked it up online and its about 200 but it doesnt seem to have the added resitance. CHeck also nashbar.com. We also have a mat that goes under it b.c of the sweat and it can eat up your floor..

Cycle Ops Mag is AWFUL LOUD!!!! it will work and in your price range prob but just a warning! There are other Cycle Ops out there that arent so loud but go up in price. Asked DH about your Bell and he said he knows no one that has used it.. Also he said you want words like "fluid" in the description they tend to be quieter. AND since you are planning on doing most of your training on a trainer you may want to get a cheap tire b/c the the trainer will eat up your tire with all the miles you are about to put on it. He is the biker in the family
This discussion has been closed.