Fasting good idea?

Options
Today I went over my limit by 500 calories and I feel like a pig. It was only 1 meal that was giant but it was a family thing so I thought I'd relax a bit. I just tried jogging and it was a stop start for 10 minutes, then was so exhausted so forced myself 30 minutes back to my house.
But still have plenty calories still too much.
Can I fix all this by fasting all day tomorrow?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah, going down the road of punishing yourself for one day being a bit over (and in the grand scheme of things 500 isn't a lot) is a slippery slope. You logged it. Move on.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    500calories isn't anything to worry about unless you do it all the time. Maybe go for a nice walk, you'll burn some of those calories and it will relax you =) Tomorrows a new day and you'll be back on track.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What amusedmonk says.

I know that tomorrow I'm having a very indulgent lunch, that will potentially on its own set me over my calorie limit. I won't skip breakfast, so I am already planning no dinner or have a very light soup if I really am hungry. (I doubt it) I will also have a very light Sunday. This, I feel, is ok, because it is planned and thought-through in advance.

Fasting after an unexpected binge, however, is a different story. You are fasting out of guilt and to punish yourself. Because it is not planned, it is much harder to go through with it (fasting is a very taxing process mentally). As a result, there is a high risk of you slipping up, getting more frustrated at yourself, and going over again, leading to a vicious circle.

So no. Don't do it.

Try this instead: open up your week and look at your intake. You'll see a big blue bar going over the limit. Scary, right? Ok. Now take that surplus, and distribute it evenly across your days. How many extra calories is that per day? Assuming you started counting on Monday, that is 100 calories per day. That is really not a lot, is it? Besides, you still have Saturday and Sunday. So in fact, you barely have a surplus of 71 calories a day, assuming you bounce back and stay within your limits.

Hope that helps. :)

Edit: A quick disclaimer - while the first strategy works for me, it definitely does not work for everyone. If you feel like implementing such a strategy could lead to a binge-fast cycle, don't do it.
  • alexpriceonline
    alexpriceonline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fasting is great if you know what you're doing. I do intermittent fasting as a part of a larger fitness plan, but I don't recommend sporadic fasting as a correction method. You can easily make up 500kcal over the next week. Stick to your plan, fitness is all about the long term!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if you're set at 1 pound a week, all you did was eat at maintenance for a day. If you have your goal set at 2 pounds a week? Then you just switched to the "pound a week plan" for ONE DAY.

So many people seem to not understand the calorie goals. If you select a calorie goal for weight loss and you go over it, you don't go straight to GAIN ALL THE WEIGHT MODE!

First, you start to have a smaller deficit. You're in "Lose less than I planned" territory.
    Then you might have no deficit. That's "Maintenance."
    Only when you go OVER that point MIGHT you gain weight, and that's only if you keep doing it.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sure you can cut a little the next couple of days.. diets are not lost or won in a single day. You can still just stay on your plan going forward and you will be fine. 500 calories over in a single day won't kill you.. it's doing that day in and out for a long period of time that will. I would let it be a great meal with family and just get back on track going forward.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to look at your week as a whole. Not just one day. One day wont derail you. I don't fast at all, I have a play date with a friend. She is bringing her three kids over and all 6 kids are going to make homemade mini pizzas and eat chips and play. And YES I plan to have pizza too and a glass of wine. This plan for Saturday, for me, meant that I ate less exercise calories the past 2 days (not extreme but 150 less each day). This gives me 300cals "banked" for Saturday. I can eat maintenance and those (if needed, I may not need them at all) without feeling like I have "gone off the rails".

Sometimes these things happen and we can't plan like that. In these cases? Just track it, so you can have that record, and move on. Don't dwell on one day! I know so many people who throw in the towel based on that one bad day or meal, cause they think they failed.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Just log it and move on.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    melto1989 wrote: »
    Today I went over my limit by 500 calories and I feel like a pig. It was only 1 meal that was giant but it was a family thing so I thought I'd relax a bit. I just tried jogging and it was a stop start for 10 minutes, then was so exhausted so forced myself 30 minutes back to my house.

I wouldn't. Punishing yourself just leads to more guilt/binge cycles.

Log it, count it as a learning experience. Move on.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

I'm all for intermittent fasting...but using exercise & fasting as "punishment" or to makeup for overeating is not in any way a healthy approach to weight loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Fasting as a strategy in a well rounded plan, not attached to a cycle of guilt and punishment is a good idea for some. Fasting as punishment is the worst idea for a diet and builds unhealthy behaviors. Don't feel guilty for eating with family, it's meant to be enjoyed not loathed. If it caused you to deviate from your plan then just move on and get back to your plan the next day as if nothing happened.

I agree with this. I fast one day a week as part of my weight loss plan. But feeling guilty should not be part of the equation. Especially over only 500 calories. That shouldn't even stop you from losing fat this week.
  • goalsforever03
    goalsforever03 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I tried fasting once a week and it was not for me .. I would always eat more than my calories the next day and feel nauseous .. now I just eat higher protein and stay in my calories.. I still eat sweets and junk lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mstein5195 wrote: »
    I tried fasting once a week and it was not for me .. I would always eat more than my calories the next day and feel nauseous .. now I just eat higher protein and stay in my calories.. I still eat sweets and junk lol

I find that the day after my fast day is usually my lightest day of the week. I seem to get full so easy after 36 hrs of not eating.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of fasting for so many reasons and I do it regularly. However, what you're describing seems like a binge-restrict cycle you're setting up for and obviously that has negatives.

Tomorrow I would just eat your normal foods when you get hungry. I also suggest looking into fasting in the future but not as a sort of punishment for overeating.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I have had some stressful news today. I am holding on to the edge of things with my fingernails, and know that I will be over calories today because I do NOT have the emotional energy to give to it. But guess what? It's one day of many. I accept - I log - I move on.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So you went over 500 calories one day but you want to punish yourself by being 1742 under the next day? How does that make sense? Log it and move on.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had a crazy food day yesterday for my son's birthday dinner where I netted out for the day at maintenance. Today is another day and I'm keeping to my goal calories.