Hello! I'm NEW!!! :) HELP!

Options
They say to introduce myself, and I feel a bit paralyzed at that thought. I'd like to lose 20-25 pounds by my birthday in October. I've been 20-30 pounds overweight for the last 10 years or so. I yo-yo a lot. I'll lose a lot of weight, and look and feel awesome, then I'll gain it back. For me, my greatest obstacles are in my mind. The and exercise food (for the most part) is easy, compared to the battles won and lost in my head. I hope this calorie tracker helps me. Do any of you have any suggestions, or tips about food and exercise? I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but I will eat fish/seafood maybe 3-4 times a month. I have access to treadmills and elliptical machines at my apartment gym. And right now, I am up to running about a mile. Any tips for getting in some weight-lifting muscle-creating workouts without a gym? Thank you! :happy:

Replies

• LadyMara
    LadyMara Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! If you can, I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD. All that's needed are two sets of dumbbells, and a mat. There are 4 intense work-outs that are a half an hour each. There is a warm-up then three six minutes circuits of 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs, and the a cool down. They are great if time is of the essence, and they work! I've been on week three for about a month now, and actually getting back on the regular-exercise wagon.

There are also some DVDs by Jari Love that are strictly weight training that I'd recommend - if you have more time. These are Get Ripped to the Core, Get Ripped Slim and Lean, Get Ripped 1000, and Get Ripped and Chiseled. There is one more of hers I like Get Extremely Ripped 1000 - and that's because there is the option to do just the weight training (this DVD alternates between cardio and weight segments. Not a huge fan of the cardio in this one) The weight training segments are good, though, and take less time then the other DVD - which are a hour long.

Hope this helps!
  • BlueAventer
    BlueAventer Posts: 129
    Options
    Thank you! I will check it out! I was looking at gym memberships yesterday, and they are way outside of what I can afford right now. :( I can run all day, but I need something to build muscle in my upper body. :)
  • auroreia
    auroreia Posts: 10
    Options
    The friend who got me into mfp has lost 22 lbs in 4 months... I think losing 20 by your bday in october is totally doable! She does a lot of cardio, her fave is getting on the eliptical and just going for an hour. I personally like finding a 45-50 min TV show that I like and making it a goal to just keep moving until that show is over, whether its bike, treadmill or weightlifting/yoga.
    and on a food note, as a vegetarian, it's important to get enough protein when you want to start building muscle... beans, tofu, tempeh can all be pretty tasty :)
  • BlueAventer
    Options
    That's awesome! I did lose 30 pounds Jan-Apr of last year. 20 pounds just slowly crept back on. I went through a lot of stress and I just gave up on myself. :)

I did the elliptical for an hour last week, and I nearly died!! Or, thought I nearly died anyway. :) I'd like to learn yoga or pilates as a less violent way to burn calories. Sometimes, running is tough on me.
  • BlueAventer
    Options
    Hi! If you can, I HIGHLY recommend Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD. All that's needed are two sets of dumbbells, and a mat. There are 4 intense work-outs that are a half an hour each. There is a warm-up then three six minutes circuits of 3 minutes of strength training, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute of abs, and the a cool down. They are great if time is of the essence, and they work! I've been on week three for about a month now, and actually getting back on the regular-exercise wagon.

There are also some DVDs by Jari Love that are strictly weight training that I'd recommend - if you have more time. These are Get Ripped to the Core, Get Ripped Slim and Lean, Get Ripped 1000, and Get Ripped and Chiseled. There is one more of hers I like Get Extremely Ripped 1000 - and that's because there is the option to do just the weight training (this DVD alternates between cardio and weight segments. Not a huge fan of the cardio in this one) The weight training segments are good, though, and take less time then the other DVD - which are a hour long.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I will check these out!
  • BlueAventer
    Options
    The friend who got me into mfp has lost 22 lbs in 4 months... I think losing 20 by your bday in october is totally doable! She does a lot of cardio, her fave is getting on the eliptical and just going for an hour. I personally like finding a 45-50 min TV show that I like and making it a goal to just keep moving until that show is over, whether its bike, treadmill or weightlifting/yoga.
    and on a food note, as a vegetarian, it's important to get enough protein when you want to start building muscle... beans, tofu, tempeh can all be pretty tasty :)

I discovered the "quote" option. :) I've been doing situps while watching TV!! :)
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hi:flowerforyou: I've been on MFP for one week today. My start weight was 148. Today, I weighed 147.9. Lol. At least, I didn't gain. My goal is to lose 23lbs by my 40th bday in Nov. If you need a friend since we are close to the same amount for weight loss, feel free to add me as a friend. I'm going to start P90 again on Monday. I walk my dog almost everyday. For cardio, I do my dance fitness dvds and fitness dvd's on NetFlix.