Lift heavy at home

I'd really like to lift heavy things and put them down, but I have no access to a gym. I have been thinking of getting some non traditional heavy things - sandbags and a tractor tire perhaps? I could get these things very very affordability where I live vs actual weights - would this work?

Replies

• Ljtlafrenaye
    Ljtlafrenaye Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2017
    Have you looked in Body Beast or The Masters Hammer and Chisel. These are great at home workout with heavy lifting. I was always afraid of weights until I did 3 rounds of Hammer and Chisel. Now Im on to Body Beast and love how it's toning my body. I only have a stability ball and hand weights - 5,8,10,12,15 & 20 pounds. All purchased at walmart or target....so nothing expensive.

[edited by MFP Mods]
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    There are all types of how to videos on youtube.

I found a simple way to replicate the landmine equipment made from scrap wood. The ones that you can buy are not terribly expensive but why spend the money especially if you are not even sure that you will like it.

Also...a lot of the things that I have came from a used sporting good store.
  • KatyBell164
    KatyBell164 Posts: 104 Member
    I'd really like to lift heavy things and put them down, but I have no access to a gym. I have been thinking of getting some non traditional heavy things - sandbags and a tractor tire perhaps? I could get these things very very affordability where I live vs actual weights - would this work?
    Definitely doable.

Thank you so much! Awesome set up and info, looking through the links now.
  • Pathman1
    Pathman1 Posts: 52 Member
    Have you checked into used equipment? My entire gym was $350 and is mostly good condition used equipment. If you started small instead of building a whole gym you could get by with a fraction of that cost. My employee bought a used weight bench with squat rack, Olympic bar, curl bar, and 250 lbs of plates for $80 last year. It took some searching on the used market and quick response to the ad, but it was a great deal for him.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I'd really like to lift heavy things and put them down

In addition to lifting things up, there's also pushing and pulling. For pushing, google "DIY weight sled". For pulling, you can tie a battle rope (or any thick rope) to the sled, like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIzJ4ebPEkE

Beating up a tractor tire with a sledgehammer can be a fun workout. :+1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkKA9SMevcM
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    I have been thinking of getting some non traditional heavy things - sandbags and a tractor tire perhaps?

I got a used 200lb tractor tire for FREE at my local Les Schwab tire shop.

Have seen ads for them on Craigslist asking $100 or more. Just go around back and have a look around. If you see one, ask if you can take it. That's all I did.

What you can do w/it is varied. Plyo jumps, sledge hammer strikes and tire flipping among other things. Ther are a variety of videos online illustrating different things that can be done w/it. I just use it for sledge hammer striking and flipping.

You just need enough room to do whatever it is you wanrt to do. My tire is just under 4 ft in diameter. I put a 4x4 ft piece of plywood covered w/a cheap vinyl tarp on top of it to keep water from pooling up inside during the rain. It's hard to get the water out of the interior after it rains and the cover is also a form of mosquito control.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    I have been working out at home recently. I've had a gym membership for many years and used to go off and on but just can't find the time these days. You can get a great workout at home with bodyweight exercises, some dumbells and something like the Perfect Pullup. You can do squats, split squats, pushups, weighted pushups, planks, weighted planks, military press, curls, inverted rows, pull ups and chinups and much more all for $100-200 depending on the cost of the dumbells and how many you need. Basically all of the compound muscle routines except for dead lifts, but I am getting a hex bar and some plates for that.
  • lissard14
    lissard14 Posts: 1 Member
    I lift at home and use kettlebells! Love them!