Desperate for tips and ideas!!

Options
Hi everyone I have started doing Intermitent fasting + staying around 1200 calories but my issue is when I break my i just binge on carbohydrate. How does everyone else does this calorie count. I am desperate to lose 3 stones weight for health reasons. Please share your tips and ideas to help me meet my goals. My other question to u all is
How long did it take you to lose weight and how much have you lost?

Replies

• brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What's your height & weight?
    What are your hours of intermittent fasting? I have had good success with 16 off , 8 on (but it still boils down to Calories in Calories Out)
    Look at your nutrients after logging to make sure your protein is getting hit. (eggs, chicken, turkey, greek yogurt have really helped me)
    57 pounds gone, and 198 more to go for me!
  • Argemone83
    Argemone83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's also worth mentioning I find MFP to have a pretty accurate cal suggestion when you enter your goals and vitals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Argemone83 wrote: »
    You are making a mistake I did particularly with regards to intermittent fasting. You really need to shoot for closer to 1700 cal for men and 1500 for womem on eat days and don't exceed 500 on fast days. Find a good online BMR calculator and always shoot to be around 300-500 cal less than your BMR per day. I eat 1800 on M W F Sun since my gym days are M W F. The rest I eat 500. When someone is desperate to lose the weight like I was, you jump straight to a tiny caloric intake rout. But making sure your body is fueled enough to be able to burn fat is important too. And forcing exremerly low calories leads to way more binge moments.

I am on a ketogenic diet which I intend to keep for life, and my biggest issue is that now I barely eat any carbs and as a result, my appetite has freefallen. I struggle eating 1800 in a day. On the flip side I never crave carbs now since my body burns fat insted. And my cravings have dropped significantly as well. I lose 2 lbs or more pretty consistently every week. I suggest you visit AuthorityNutrition.com and browse their articles. They weed out the BS and offer a scientific approach. Which has been vital to my success.

Good luck!

The OP doesn't state whether they're doing 5:2 or a daily version of IF such as 16:8. And being that they are set for 1200, I would believe the latter as 5:2 is meant to have the five days at maintenance.

OP, what are your stats? You might be better off lowering your goal to a pound a week and getting more calories.
  • Argemone83
    Argemone83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For sure. I tried the 16:8 and had a hell of a time fitting all my food in an 8hr window. I'm still learning to manage my miniscule appetite in comparison to my old one. I enjoy the challenge and opportunity to learn though.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I've done 16:8 for years. Two large meals and one snack is what works the best for me.

The thing about carbs is that once you start, for some people it's difficult to stop unless they also have a good portion of fat and protein along with it.

1200 calories is really low, it's going to be difficult to stay within that amount no matter what you do. How about getting some exercise so you can increase your calories? We know little about you, so it may be that 1200 is too low for you anyway.
  • sughram906
    sughram906 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You are making a mistake I did particularly with regards to intermittent fasting. You really need to shoot for closer to 1700 cal for men and 1500 for womem on eat days and don't exceed 500 on fast days. Find a good online BMR calculator and always shoot to be around 300-500 cal less than your BMR per day. I eat 1800 on M W F Sun since my gym days are M W F. The rest I eat 500. When someone is desperate to lose the weight like I was, you jump straight to a tiny caloric intake rout. But making sure your body is fueled enough to be able to burn fat is important too. And forcing exremerly low calories leads to way more binge moments.

I am on a ketogenic diet which I intend to keep for life, and my biggest issue is that now I barely eat any carbs and as a result, my appetite has freefallen. I struggle eating 1800 in a day. On the flip side I never crave carbs now since my body burns fat insted. And my cravings have dropped significantly as well. I lose 2 lbs or more pretty consistently every week. I suggest you visit AuthorityNutrition.com and browse their articles. They weed out the BS and offer a scientific approach. Which has been vital to my success.

Good luck!

The OP doesn't state whether they're doing 5:2 or a daily version of IF such as 16:8. And being that they are set for 1200, I would believe the latter as 5:2 is meant to have the five days at maintenance.

OP, what are your stats? You might be better off lowering your goal to a pound a week and getting more calories.

I do 16:8, 23:1
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    sughram906 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I have started doing Intermitent fasting + staying around 1200 calories but my issue is when I break my i just binge on carbohydrate. How does everyone else does this calorie count. I am desperate to lose 3 stones weight for health reasons. Please share your tips and ideas to help me meet my goals. My other question to u all is
    How long did it take you to lose weight and how much have you lost?

My way is not to do fasting at all -- it is too restrcitive for me and I also get bingey when I stop, which is totally counter-productive. Anything that feels too restrictive has a bad effect on my psychology, and can result in me actually eating more calories rather than less. I aim to exericse a lot and eat a lot too! I use MFP to give me accurate info about calories in the food I am eating. This time I have made an effort to make my meals more protein based and less carbs than I used to eat, and atm that is working pretty good for me.

Maybe the fasting thing doesn't really suit you either?

One thing I am trying to learn is: There is also no point in being "desperate" - losing 3-4 pounds a month is still a loss. What's the rush? We have to monitor our eating for the rest of our lives, so time is not really of the essence. Getting to know what works for us as individuals is more important than crash dieting for short-term goals. I am focussing on making changes that are sustainble into the future.

• SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Good luck!

Could someone explain what these numbers mean?

Hours in the day you eat?

23 hours not eat and only one eating??

How in the world does that work?

Edit: Sorry, don't mean to derail the thread.

OP, you don't need to suffer with 1200 a day. Depending on how tall you are, 1500 would probably be more reasonable.

OP, how tall are you, what's your goal weight? Age?

The well informed people on here really need these numbers to help you.
  • sughram906
    Options

Good luck!

OP, you don't need to suffer with 1200 a day. Depending on how tall you are, 1500 would probably be more reasonable.

Hi thanks
    I am 5ft3 and my weight is 11st .7 pounds.
    I started off September 2015 then I weighed 14. 10 stones. But I have been 11.7 for a very long time its on stand still. I am still border line obesse. So really want to lose 2 or 3 stone to get to healthy weight xx
  • sughram906
    Options

Good luck!

Hi thanks
    I am 5ft3 and my weight is 11st .7 pounds.
    I started off September 2015 then I weighed 14. 10 stones. But I have been 11.7 for a very long time its on stand still. I am still border line obesse. So really want to lose 2 or 3 stone to get to healthy weight xx

I am 33 yr old
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Still looking for help? If so, BUMP
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!