Leg Pain While Walking

Options
Hello!

I've been experiencing this for a while, but I haven't been able to find anything pertaining to the kind of pain I'm feeling. Usually while walking, I will feel a sharp pain above my ankles. If I continue walking, the pain is really excruciating, and it will reach my ankles. After I go walking, it will take anywhere from five minutes to a whole day to not feel that pain again. It's strange, because I'll go out walking at a leisurely pace with my friends for four hours but feel no pain at all. If I am walking the same pace or a little faster for working out, the pain comes about five minutes after I begin walking.

I figured a part of this might be due to my weight and the fact that my legs are probably not used to it. I used to have really bad problems with my calves when I would run, but now it seems that it's down by my ankles. I felt an improvement today, however. I was able to walk for a longer period of time at the same pace, although the pain was still there. I'm not sure if I'm working through the pain or if it's being relieved from both exercise, nutrition, and steady weight loss.

Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Replies

• captnesshowdy7
    Options
    Shin splits maybe? I'm sorry, I wish I could help! Good luck. I would recommend seeing your doctor if it's been going on for a while and it's affecting your every day life.
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had this pain when I first started. I recommend slowing your pace... stroll if necessary and gradually work your way up... when i started, it took me at least 20 minutes to do a mile... now I can do it in almost 16 flat... (2 months later)...
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    my question is are u stretching your muscles? i think the best one for ankles is to sit on the floor point your toes and rotate your ankles then point and flex for one minute. even though you are walking you should always stretch especially for people that havent normally used those muscles in the past. i would walk a bit slower to start and gradually go from there. go see a doctor if the pain persists, you may have pulled something and not know it.
  • schatzie1982
    Options
    I get the same thing. It hurts to step down. Shin splints can feel like your bones are splintering. There are some exercises you can do to relieve the pressure and pain.

One-find a pole. (a fence post will do) Stand close enough to be able to put your foot against it without stretching too far forward. Place the leg that is hurting forward with you toes leaning against the pole. The other leg should be straight and slightly behind your body. hold the pole with your hands. Now, make sure you are standing staight. You should be in a modified lunge position. Now, lean your leg forward where the leg (from the knee down) is against the pole. You should feel a stretch up the front of your leg and you will feel some relief of the pressure and pain. Hold it for about 5 seconds, release, and repeat several times. I had to do these several times for the first 5-10 minutes of my walk until I was warmed up.

Two-If there is no pole you can try this one. It is a little harder but works well. Bend the back leg slightly. Place the hurting leg out in front of you with your heel on the ground. Lean back so you are sitting on the back leg. Lean your upper body forward with your hands on your knees. Lift your toes towards your body, hold for about 5 seconds, then lower your toes to the ground. Repeat several times. It can take several weeks before you will see a difference.

Also, make sure you have the right type of shoe. They have walking shoes. I always used running shoes because the arch is higher and the sole has a lot of stability. Also, make sure you are not walking on your toes. The heel should land squarely on the ground and you should roll to the balls of your feet then your toes. Also keep one foot on the ground at all times.

I hope this helps. You will also notice that after about 3/4 of a mile or about 15-20 minutes of normal paced walking the shins will begin to relax and you can speed up.
  • greenhydrangea
    greenhydrangea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    DDW: I have leg pain too, I think mine is my peroneus longus muscle: This blog and the exercises in it have been really! helpful.

http://bananarunning.wordpress.com/2009/02/21/leg-muscle-101-peroneus-longus/