Replacing cold cuts

Options
gotabayqh
gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
What's a good substitute to replace your cold cuts for your sandwiches/wraps?

Replies

• jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Rotisserie Chicken is a good one. You can shred it up (or slice it) and use it for a variety of things. Or just chicken breasts you cook at home, seasoned.

I also enjoy tuna fish, veggie burgers, or even beans in place of meats. (ie: black beans with salsa, cilantro, brown rice, low fat cheese in a whole wheat wrap....yummm!)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to replace them? Sodium content? Preservatives/additives? Calories/fat?

I don't eat most commercial cold cuts because their ingredient list freaks me out, with exception to a few quality brands (Applegate Farms comes to mind). Many times I cook up chicken breast or roast beef or any meat, slice it thinly, and put it on my sandwich. It is cheaper and healthier than the store bought stuff.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I like to take a serving of hummus and spread it on the wrap, then roll a hefty serving of veggies, like brocolli slaw, shredded carrots, banana peppers, and olive tapenade in there.
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    Agrees with jagh09. i also put nice slices of things like avacodos, or apples & cuccumbers for crunch in my sandwhiches. it's refreshing and yummy!
  • ☆ShawnsMom08☆
    ☆ShawnsMom08☆ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes! I love tomato sandwiches!
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I've been putting hummus and 1/2 of a wedge of laughing cow cheese with veggies on a sandwich or bagel thin and it's very good. I don't miss the lunch meat at all. :)
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    Sliced tempeh & hummus is my fave. Vegan Boca burgers, too! I stopped eating deli turkey once I saw how much sodium was in it.
  • abg0220
    abg0220 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • plums
    plums Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been having smoked salmon on brown bread with salad this week.
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to replace them? Sodium content? Preservatives/additives? Calories/fat?

I don't eat most commercial cold cuts because their ingredient list freaks me out, with exception to a few quality brands (Applegate Farms comes to mind). Many times I cook up chicken breast or roast beef or any meat, slice it thinly, and put it on my sandwich. It is cheaper and healthier than the store bought stuff.

I'd like to cut down on my sodium intake and that seems to where it's affecting me the most. Plus I'm getting sick of the same ol' thing day in and day out. Thanks for the tips all!!!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    You can get turkey breast or sliced ham. I buy the Hillshire farms stuff, and though it's low in fat and calories, it's pretty high in sodium. They do have the low sodium kind, but it doesn't taste very good. I don't worry about sodium content because I have low BP already, but maybe I should. I also love making a tuna salad sandwich. I use canned albacore tuna with 1 tablespoon of miracle whip and sweet relsih. I then add half a slice of RF cheddar. It's sooooo yummy. I thought tuna salad had to made with mayo, but I honestly don't taste the difference with the MW, and it has way less fat and calories.