What is the best workout to work on your abs and get a six pack

Options
Hi everyone im looking for workout vids and the best kind of workouts to work on my abs and get a six pack

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest

Doing abdominal exercises isn't going to get you as far as doing a full body type workout. Having visible abs comes from low body fat and adequate lean mass. If you start lifting weights now you'll be ahead of the game when the fat comes off. Overall, you need to focus on fat loss rather than ab exercises.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Lose the fat, build the muscle. Calorie deficit...Compound lifts engage the core, and I also like 6 weeks 6 pack abs. But you have to lose the fat to see the muscle underneath.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways. To get a six pack you have to be around (or below) 10% bodyfat, which is pretty lean - and you get that lean by a caloric deficit. Exercising the muscles in an effort to "spot reduce" does nothing to get rid of the fat that's hiding them.

This is true BUT, it's also very possible to be 10% or even less, and have no ab definition. If the muscle isn't developed enough to press through the tendons that cross over it, you can lose all of the fat and still have nothing popping.

Obvious example: starving third world people.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Fork putdowns and table pushaways. To get a six pack you have to be around (or below) 10% bodyfat, which is pretty lean - and you get that lean by a caloric deficit. Exercising the muscles in an effort to "spot reduce" does nothing to get rid of the fat that's hiding them.

I know you were being somewhat vague with 10% but for sake of info for those interested, it's quite possible for to get a six pack with higher percentage though it has to do wit where you carry fat.

I have a six pack shredded at 12% and it pops through very noticably around 15%.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I know you were being somewhat vague with 10% but for sake of info for those interested, it's quite possible for to get a six pack with higher percentage though it has to do wit where you carry fat.

I have a six pack shredded at 12% and it pops through very noticably around 15%.

Mine is starting to peek out at 25.

That being said, I have little desire to get much below 19.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Table push aways and fork put downs.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I already have a six pack, but I like to keep it safe and warm under a protective layer of fat. ;-)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

JoRocka beat me too it. Those are the two most important exercises for a six pack.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I already have a six pack, but I like to keep it safe and warm under a protective layer of fat. ;-)

I like my six pack under ice, just sayin'.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

JoRocka beat me too it. Those are the two most important exercises for a six pack.

Lol funny but true!

To build abs I've found the Brazil butt lift episode "tummy tuck" has helped a lot. But again I couldn't see the results until I reached a certain bf%. Even now if I hold onto water or gain a couple lbs 6 pack becomes 4 and 4 can become 2 if really sloppy.