Meals on the go

Options
farmstead624
farmstead624 Posts: 1 Member
Hey everyone,
I am an EMT and work 12 hour shifts doing medical transport. We really have no real break time and usually have to get food that is grab and go. Basically, I consume gas station food and fast food 90% of the time and thats if we get a chance to stop. I would like to start bringing snacks and light meals on the unit with me and I am looking for meal ideas. The items have to be able to hold up in a lunch bag for possibly 12 hours. Also I have no means of heating anything up. Flood me with your suggestions

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When I have little opportunity to eat a proper meal (or have an uncertain meal schedule), I like making snack boxes - vegie sticks, meatballs or chicken strips, hard boiled eggs, cheese slices, dips, crackers, easy to eat fruit etc. You can eat as much as you like at any time. It should keep in your cooler with an icepack
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going twelve hours without consuming something warm. Have you thought about buying cooking units that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter?
    Check out roadtrucker.com
  • Livingmywaytogoodhealth
    Options
    Sounds quite sad but I really enjoy spending a bit of time in the kitchen preping meals for the week ahead, if you can set a bit of time aside on your next day off and see how you get on. Soup is very easy to do and if you have a good thermos it should stay warm for most of the shift. Boiled eggs, couscous with peppers and chicken, salmon salad. Nuts (unsalted) Most veg I find nice roasted and cold i.e. Carrots, spouts or broccoli. Good luck!