What do you say?

Options
I've got a friend who told me that at his last trip to the MD he was a little over 400lbs. He's about 5'9".

He knows he's overweight. And has tried all kinds of diets before. He eats healthy food but he just eats a ton of it. He says he can't excercise because he has bad knees. He says most of his current problem is medication related.

He's been big as long as I've known him (15 years) but has really put on the weight in the last two or three years since he got married. His wife is rather large too.

I'm very concerned about his health, what do you say to get someone started? He's been to the doctor and they've told him he needs to lose. He makes comments about needing to lose. And always has plenty of advice to me about what I should be doing, but doesn't seem to do anything for himself.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    He will change when he is ready. You can suggest this site to him and tell him how wonderful it is and inspiring to see so many people just like us that has lost weight and are so happy. I think all he needs to do is browse these forums to become more interested. The hardest part is starting.
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    One of the most frustrating things about this journey is that you CANNOT will someone to do it...they have to choose it for themselves. Their lifestyle change will not work unless it was their motivation and decision. You can encourage him, invite him for walks, maybe possible to the pool, but nothing you do or say can motivate him, just live the life, be a good example and be a good friend, change or no change...
  • karenx30
    karenx30 Posts: 90
    Options
    He will change when he is ready. You can suggest this site to him and tell him how wonderful it is and inspiring to see so many people just like us that has lost weight and are so happy. I think all he needs to do is browse these forums to become more interested. The hardest part is starting.

Excellent advice! That is what I would recommend as well!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sadly, if he won't listen to a doctor then he most likely will not listen to you.

I hear people say "I've tried everything and I just can't lose weight". The harsh reality is that no they have not tried everything...they have tried the fad diets. The only thing that really works is moving more and eating less. If people would just do that consistently they would see results. It is mind over matter!

Maybe he can see results you are getting and decide to jump in head first! When he decides he is really ready then he will do it, but I hope that decision does not come too late.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The hardest obstacle he has to over come is his mind. Once he gets it there it will be easy.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The hardest obstacle he has to over come is his mind. Once he gets it there it will be easy.

Very true! At least for me it was!
  • MsMadmagic
    MsMadmagic Posts: 66
    Options

Excellent advice! That is what I would recommend as well!

Ditto - He needs to see how much support can be out there for and talk to people of have been in the same situation and have chosen to make the change and how they have done it
  • blondebaby9890
    Options
    People told me i'd started looking chunky and things i couldn't do anymore got me down but didn't stop me reaching for the Pizza Hut menu and ordering potato wedges, a large stuffed crust Pepperoni pizza and a litre of coke.

But one day I was at the doctors getting my implant fitted...and the nurse walked past. I asked her if I could have a word about my weight. Something snapped that day and I couldn't tell you what. But i've turned it around for the better. You cannot tell someone to change until they see/feel something that makes them realise.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    People told me i'd started looking chunky and things i couldn't do anymore got me down but didn't stop me reaching for the Pizza Hut menu and ordering potato wedges, a large stuffed crust Pepperoni pizza and a litre of coke.

But one day I was at the doctors getting my implant fitted...and the nurse walked past. I asked her if I could have a word about my weight. Something snapped that day and I couldn't tell you what. But i've turned it around for the better. You cannot tell someone to change until they see/feel something that makes them realise.

Now I'm hungry...thanks a lot. LOL just kidding.