Cooking Spray - do you count it?

Options
Quick question for you all - for cooking sprays like Pam, do you dock yourself for a small amount of that oil (vegetable or olive)? Or do you count it as a zero since its immeasurable and usually a small amount

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've always assumed that cooking spray is only 0 cal because the portion size is so small. I also assume that I use more than the serving size.

Those 2 things together make me think I'm probably using more than 0 calories worth, so I'll add a little oil or butter to my entry and call it good.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If it's one quick spray, I don't bother counting it. Typically I'm creating a recipe with multiple servings anyway, so spread out over a few servings one quick spray of cooking spray is not going to add anything. However if I use a lot of cooking spray then I'll add in some vegetable oil calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I log it as 2-5 mL of canola oil.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's not 0 calories. They make the serving size a 1/4-1/3 second spray because legally they can state that anything under 5 calories per serving is 0. But who only sprays that little? I spray for three seconds when I make eggs, which I log as 30 calories.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, but I also don't use it more than maybe once a week, and I don't soak things in it.
    If I were using a lot and wanted to really tighten up my logging I might.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. Only a small amount sticks to the food and it is impossible to know how much.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A one second spray, or enough to fill a 10 inch pan is 9 calories. The very quick spray listed on the can is usually only enough to coat smaller surfaces.

Yes, I log it. That's 1/4 a teaspoon of oil.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Sort off. I don't use much and what I do use mostly stays on the pan but I usually just go ahead and round up to a convenient number to account for it.
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. But I also have my daily calorie goal set for a "margin of error" on my part. Since I am not close to goal, this works well for me. Once I get within that last 10lbs? I may need to change this.
  • laceyslabaugh
    laceyslabaugh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I count whatever the serving size says ... I usually only do a quick 1-2 second spray on the bottom of the pan - but I also count 3 calories for my gum. lol
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I use barely enough to lightly grease an 8" ceramic coated pan before I pour in my eggs, so the amount is minimal. I can't believe when I read around here once how some people just load that stuff in there and think it has zero calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much I use, honestly.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't count it, but I only use a couple of brief sprays at a time, and a bottle of it lasts me forever (couple of years?).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I do, but it's a wild guess whether it's accurate or not! I don't stand there and count the seconds in my head. Last time i used it i logged 30 calories.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Nah, I use it minimally. Always have my best non stick pan clean so I don't need much, or will dry start.
  • tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't but I don't log a lot of things like a dash of milk in my coffee ketchup, basically I log the main stuff and it works for me if you feel it would help yes I would log ir
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have never counted it. I give myself enough margin for error that it wouldn't make a difference.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Never counted it in the 2.5 years I've been losing weight even though I probably should. Getting closer to my goal, I'm thinking I probably need to start counting it.
  • Annaxlisex
    Annaxlisex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My spray oil is 1 cal per spray I live in Ireland though so could differ