Something other than almonds

Options
I do not eat meat so I need another protein source. I love almonds but they do not love me back. Is it okay to eat peanuts or is there a healthier alternative??

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nuts aren't really a good protein source as they're mainly fat.

Beans, dairy, seafood?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    newwed412 wrote: »
    I do not eat meat so I need another protein source. I love almonds but they do not love me back. Is it okay to eat peanuts or is there a healthier alternative??

NUTS AND SEEDS SUCK FOR PROTEIN!

Okay, now that that's off my chest...

You can look here for a list of vegetarian and vegan protein sources.
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes - vegan or whey isolate based your choice
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If almonds don't like you then the chances are peanuts won't either. And I agree with the above- they're not that high in protein.
    If you're not vegan you can try eggs,cheese,milk,yoghurt. Quinoa is fairly high in protein for a grain. When I'm low on protein I use whey isolate protein powder. You can get vegan ones too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    In addition to the choices listed above, tofu, tempeh, and seitan are excellent animal-free protein sources.
  • sunnycamper
    sunnycamper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    lentils (I make huge vats of Indian style lentils - spicy and delicious, and freeze in pints. Chickpeas (add canned chickpeas to salads or soups, eat good hummus).
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Almost every food has protein. Some foods have more than others, but seeking out, and giving preference to, foods higher in protein is not necessary. There is no need to eat any specific food for protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Rocbola wrote: »
    Almost every food has protein. Some foods have more than others, but seeking out, and giving preference to, foods higher in protein is not necessary. There is no need to eat any specific food for protein.

:huh:
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Eggs or egg whites?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Almost anything is better than almonds for protein. You got really good suggestions. If you eat dairy and eggs, egg whites are pretty nice. Vegan meat substitutes tend to have good protein too.

Here is how inefficient almonds are for protein, just a random example without even comparing to meat:

100 calories of almonds (17.2 grams): 3.6 grams of protein
    100 calories of asparagus (500 grams): 11 grams of protein, and you would be much fuller than eating 17 grams of almonds.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    string cheese& a handful of cherry tomatoes?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Almost anything is better than almonds for protein. You got really good suggestions. If you eat dairy and eggs, egg whites are pretty nice. Vegan meat substitutes tend to have good protein too.

Here is how inefficient almonds are for protein, just a random example without even comparing to meat:

100 calories of almonds (17.2 grams): 3.6 grams of protein
    100 calories of asparagus (500 grams): 11 grams of protein, and you would be much fuller than eating 17 grams of almonds.

I could totally eat 500 grams of asparagus. And this reminds me that it should be later this month that the first asparagus will be showing up at a good price for sale in the grocery store. I can't wait. I love asparagus season.