Simple at home daily work out for beginners not sure where to start

Options
coboblack
coboblack Posts: 64 Member
edited February 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
This is intended for someone who is beginning their diet and is used to zero activity. This is great for people who work at a desk all day and need daily activity. It is for someone who doesn't know a lot of exercises, who doesn't have any equipment or time to go to a gym. It's simply meant to give you some daily activity with a few days out of the week that gives you more intensity.

As you start to build some endurance, lose some weight, and build some muscle, you can keep this routine for daily activity and then add actual workouts to your schedule.

Week 1: Daily do the following. The key is, NO resting in between exercises. You rest one muscle group while working out the next and you want to stay moving the entire time. Everything is done with body weight. Do it in this order to start.

Monday-Friday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga (I have playlist of classical music that last 10 min that I stretch until the 3 songs are over.) - Do this either in the morning, or before you do your workout.

20 Jumping Jacks
20 Deep squats
20 Lunges
20 Push Ups
20 Sit ups
20 Push Ups (on knees if needed)

Then do one of the following:
Run stairs 10 times
Set timer for 2 min and shadow box.
Jog for 5 min
Walk for 10 min

Week 2:

Same as week 1

Monday, Wed, Friday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga

20 Jumping Jacks
20 Deep squats
20 Lunges
20 Push Ups
20 Sit ups
20 Push Ups (on knees if needed)

Then do one of the following:
Run stairs 10 times
Set timer for 2 min and shadow box.
Jog for 5 min
Walk for 10 min

Tuesday, Thursday

10 min of Deep Stretching/Yoga

Set Timer for 10 Min
Then simply do all your normal exercises nonstop until the timer goes out. (The focus is on 10 min of activity non-stop as opposed to simply meeting a rep requirement. If you finish all your exercises, do them all again.) * feel free to add any other exercises you want here. Kettle bells, curls, planks, etc. As long as you are moving non stop for the entire time, you are good to go. Just make sure you don't do any one exercise for longer than 20 reps.

Set timer for 10 min. Walk to cool down

Week 3
Same as Week 2

Week 4

Same as Week 3 Except Tuesday, Thursday you set timer for 20 min.

Week 5

Same as week 4

Week 6

Same as week 5. But now flip the days you do the 20 min circuit training. Now do circuit training on Monday, Wed, Friday and then add an activity that last an hour on Tuesday and Thursday. (Playing basketball, a martial art, kick boxing class, etc) Do this at least 2x a week for a total of 120 min of fun but hard activity.) If you can't get this activity, do an areobic or kickboxing class you follow on youtube.

Now, welcome to your new life =)

You will get daily activity and burn calories. You will get more flexible and stronger while building endurance and you will have fun. This also slowly builds your endurance and flexibility to get your body ready for doing more active things in the later weeks I mentioned. Doing this and prepping my meals I lost 1-2 pounds a week. (This is with also having a cheat day and rest from workout on weekends.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, deep stretching/yoga is best done at the end, after your muscles are warmed up. I fail to see how doing jumping jacks, squats, and lunges is alternating muscle groups. Glad it worked for you!
  • coboblack
    edited February 2017
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hmmm, deep stretching/yoga is best done at the end, after your muscles are warmed up. I fail to see how doing jumping jacks, squats, and lunges is alternating muscle groups. Glad it worked for you!

I disagree or maybe you misunderstood the point of this. This is for people who are used to zero activity, they have little knowledge on exercises and can't get to a gym. Its intention is daily activity and increasing mobility. Its combating sitting at a desk all day and from doing that for years, deactivating muscles and decreasing flexibility.

As far as deep stretching, I disagree. I workout in the morning and jumping out of bed and working out before stretching isn't going to happen. My muslces are too tight and I have less range of motion. Stretching allows me full range of motion for daily activity and sports. That said, this isn't for your advanced persons weekly exercise...this is for daily activity of and advanced person who might spend all day sitting at a desk and for people and for people who are completely new to working out and need to ease into it.

The point of this, which is for beginners, is to get their heart rate up at home with no equipment with exercises that are easy to understand and like I said, to eventually get to where they can add actual workouts to their routine. This isn't meant to "Replace" a workout routine. Its to give you a minimum amount of daily activity and stretching to increase your flexibility,mobility, endurance, strength and burn some calories on a daily basis. Especially people who work at a desk all day.
  • k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this sample beginner workout!! Exactly what I was looking for & easy to follow.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How is a beginner expected to know a 10 minute yoga routine?
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,086 Member
    Options
    Not a beginner but I think this is good!

Although I know nothing about yoga it wouldn't be hard for me to find out! YouTube will have lots of videos! There's even yoga apps!

I also agree with stretching before (and after too)

Certainly starts people in the right direction!
  • coboblack
    Options
    How is a beginner expected to know a 10 minute yoga routine?

I said deep stretching or light Yoga. Something simply to get the body moving in the morning and get your full range of body motion activated. If you don't know yoga, simply stretch.

One thing I definitely recommend, is making sure a "deep resting squat" is included in this routine. Some links for those wondering what it is.

http://www.somastruct.com/5-reasons-to-start-full-squatting/

http://physicalliving.com/deep-squats-how-to-squat-deep-in-30-days-or-less/

• rosiemarmalade
    rosiemarmalade Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks Coboblack. I'm a beginner and have a lot of weight to lose, this is really helpful. I'll loom up the yoga routine on you tube.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like it. I would place the first set of push ups in between the deep squats and lunges though. And just an FYI for folks who are brand new, this type of workout routine can go far beyond beginner status. The right bodyweight workout consistently done with proper form can take you far.

Good post OP.
  • coboblack
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    I like it. I would place the first set of push ups in between the deep squats and lunges though.

I think it's definitely worth trying for those who might be more new than others. I have always been an athlete and I let myself go for four years so when I was implementing this to get back into shape I was still probably in better shape than a lot of people.

I preferred the same muscle groups back to back to get a better workout but switching that might be ideal for someone who is truly beginning. Thanks for the input.
  • coboblack
    Options
    And just an FYI for folks who are brand new, this type of workout routine can go far beyond beginner status. The right bodyweight workout consistently done with proper form can take you far.

Good post OP.

I agree 100% I have had a lot of success with it.
    6tl9r70ruvo5.png
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    coboblack wrote: »
    I like it. I would place the first set of push ups in between the deep squats and lunges though.

I think it's definitely worth trying for those who might be more new than others. I have always been an athlete and I let myself go for four years so when I was implementing this to get back into shape I was still probably in better shape than a lot of people.

I preferred the same muscle groups back to back to get a better workout but switching that might be ideal for someone who is truly beginning. Thanks for the input.
    I could only go by my own experience really - I didn't have enough in the tank for hitting the same groups back to back lol. That's just me (or was) and others may have better success. :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    And just an FYI for folks who are brand new, this type of workout routine can go far beyond beginner status. The right bodyweight workout consistently done with proper form can take you far.

Good post OP.

6tl9r70ruvo5.png

All body weight training? That's what I call a great inspiration. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've copied and saved this. Will try to incorporate it into my present routine.
  • coboblack
    Options

Good post OP.

6tl9r70ruvo5.png

All body weight and Jiu-Jitsu for the loss in the picture but I have recently added some kettle bells and dumbells as well.
  • coboblack
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've copied and saved this. Will try to incorporate it into my present routine.

You are welcome. Go rock it and I would say that I wish you the best of luck but you don't need it. All you need is the discipline, the knowledge, and the will to accomplish your goals. So go out there and get it done!
  • Cylphin60
    Options

Good post OP.

6tl9r70ruvo5.png

All body weight and Jiu-Jitsu for the loss in the picture but I have recently added some kettle bells and dumbells as well.

Very nice. There's a lot of support here, but it's always great to see someone who has hit their goals, how they did it, and what they're doing moving forward.
  • coboblack
    Options

Good post OP.

6tl9r70ruvo5.png

Very nice. There's a lot of support here, but it's always great to see someone who has hit their goals, how they did it, and what they're doing moving forward.

Thanks, and although I've hit some goals there is always another one to hit. =D