Water with food MYTH

Options
My best friend told me that I should NOT drink a lot of water right before, during, or right after my meal because it will cause my stomach to expand and that's not good. She said it will never shrink. I don't believe her but because I have never heard any different its in the back of my head now and affecting my water intake. Please tell me she's full of @#$%!

Replies

• vibrant80
    vibrant80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before in my life.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    She's full of asterisks and assorted other non letter keys. Even if it did, it would go back otherwise we'd have people exploding left and right.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I've always heard tyhat you are SUPPOSED to drink water before, during and after your meal to help you eat less, so that it DOESN't get too full and expand. But I don't have any proof to back that up. It's just what I have heard. :S
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I'm sure she's a Doctor; RIGHT?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Actually I read in my Turbo Fire book the other day that you aren't supposed to drink with meals. I kept meaning to look into it more as it sounded fishy but I haven't yet.... off i go.
  • PerseveringForPerfect
    Options
    Drinking water with meals and just water in general can make you feel full and bloated which is probably what your friend means. But it doesn't affect your stomach, it just comes out when you pee. :)
    And drinking cold water actually burns calories because your body has to heat it up.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    She's full of asterisks and assorted other non letter keys. Even if it did, it would go back otherwise we'd have people exploding left and right.

agreed! not to mention exploding people would be an awful mess to clean up...
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Ahh, another one that has no clue. Just ignore her and go drink some water, eat a meal while drinking water, then have some more water. If we don't hear back from you we'll know you exploded and she was right. LOL
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    ...otherwise we'd have people exploding left and right.

Best laugh I have had all day! :laugh:

Drink all the water you feel need... when you need it! :smile:
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Pretty much. HAHAHAHAHAHA
  • bloodlesscoup
    bloodlesscoup Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt that. The stomach has muscles that contract and expand, just like your bladder and other parts of your body. You can train your stomach to feel full on less food pretty easily (I'm doing it now), and I'm sure that if you're used to filling it with massive quantities, that will take some time, but your stomach doesn't permanently expand after a significant amount of food or beverage, or else we'd have permanent pot bellies after Thanksgiving.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    actually drinking water before eatting wil help you feel full faster and as long as you don't stuff yourself, your stomach will stay the same.

it really doesn't matter if you drink anything or not, over eatting causes your stomach to expand. but it will shrink back to mostly normal- if not all the way- if you eat smaller sized meals. it'll just take time.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/digestion/AN01776/

Hrm. I'm very disappointed in my Turbo Fire book.
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    Good question! You got me wondering now. I've mostly heard to drink b4 you eat to help fill you up. But I worked with a lady who refused to drink anything b4 during or right after her meals because she said it slowed down digestion & caused you to not take in as many nutrients. I always thought she was full of it.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I have come across what I consider to be 'sketchy' reports that drinking water, or other liquids with meals interferes with (dilutes) the gastric acid and requires your stomach to produce more or simply not metabolise foods properly. These ideas go hand in hand with ideas like eat foods of all the same texture at each meal so you can chew it more appropriately, etc.

IMHO... Hogwash!

If you have acid reflux or other issues, it may be recommended that you not drink additional liquids with meals. But overall, as long as you aren't trying to drink a gallon of water with your big mac and fries, I don't see where it is that telling for the average person. A serving of water (4-8 ounces) should not cause any sort of harm.
  • achubbygirl
    Options
    Good question! You got me wondering now. I've mostly heard to drink b4 you eat to help fill you up. But I worked with a lady who refused to drink anything b4 during or right after her meals because she said it slowed down digestion & caused you to not take in as many nutrients. I always thought she was full of it.

This is what I've heard as well. I haven't bothered to look into it though, I'm used to drinking water with my meals. I think I read something somewhere that might have said something along those lines.

I know, I'm a wealth of useful and exact information, your welcome.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Invite her over for dinner, and serve something with habanero peppers, then tell her she's not supposed to drink anything while eating. :devil:
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My doc tells me to drink water, before, during, and after...... I think your friend has some misinformation.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If that were true, I would have exploded years ago, or at least have had zero success on the scale.

I drink a TON of water, or whatever beverage (diet soda, unsweet tea) is around, whenever I eat. It's just a habit that I've developed, and is why I always ask for two glasses of water when I go out to eat. There has almost never been a server who has been able to keep my glass full! LOL

I think that my high water consumption has done nothing but GOOD.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Actually in the case of trying to lose weight you are supposed to drink 8 oz prior to eating so it can help fill you up. Also a lot of times you think you're hungry and your stomach might even be growling but you are actually thirsty.

Now...on the other hand, my sister had the gastric bypass surgery and once she was eating her 2 oz meals, she was told she is NOT allowed to drink before or during her meals because they don't want her filling up on water then she wouldn't eat her 2 oz and her body wouldn't be getting the nutrients it needs.

Till this day she eats first then drinks and that's only because her stomach is the size of a orange!