different kinds of milk question HELP! <3

Options
Hey Everyone I have a question ... hope someone can help me out ... almond milk, rice milk, soy milk ... what the difference and which is better?? im so confused i keep hearing about these different kinds of milk what are the benefits of them <3 thanks guys

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Benefits are if you can't tolerate real milk. Or want a lesser calorie hit.
    I drink hemp milk, or almond milk. You couldn't pay me to touch soy milk. I also drink whole milk and have a small amount of powdered milk so I can still have a bowl of cereal but not have to keep a jug of milk around that won't get used.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

I have a slight milk allergy, so my doctor recommended replacing cow milk with almond milk. It has 1/3 the calories of cow milk, but you can definitely taste the difference. He claimed that if I drank too much soy milk, I could also form a soy allergy, but I think that was related to my allergy as well.

As for Rice milk, I have found it's a little 'thinner' than almond milk, but still good! I think it's a personal preference, but if you're looking to cut calories, a milk substitute is a great choice!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    All three of these are highly processed (but so is today's cow's milk), that being said almond milk is delicious, but has next to no protein (less than 1 gram/serving) whereas cow's milk has 8 or 9 grams. Rice milk is just as low in protein but doesn't even taste good. Soy milk is better tasting than rice milk but nowhere near as good as almond, and the soy milk has protein levels near those of regular milk.

almond and rice milk are low in calories, soy is lower than regular milk.

The best choice would be the one that fits your dietary needs and that you enjoy drinking. If you get adequate protein I would opt for almond milk (unsweetened vanilla is my fav), but if you need more protein I would either do soy or regular milk (skim or 1% if you are looking for lower cals)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Alternate different kinds of milk. This gives me a variety of tastes.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla flavored almond milk, or unsweetened vanilla flavored Almond Breeze. Not a big fan of soy milk, but everyone is different!
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't quite know all of the benefits but I like almond milk - it has more calcium than cow's milk, comes from a plant, you can drink if you are lactose intolerant, has added benefit of vitamin E, fewer calories than cow's milk, doesn't have the added hormones from what the cow drinks/eats. Somebody once gave me a good example of why not to drink cows milk..... it's generated to feed a baby cow that grows into an adult cow, which happens much quicker than human growth. yet we drink it and want to look slim and healthy.... Go figure.

Hope this is a little help.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Soy milk taste like soy bean water, and rice milk taste like water that was used to rinse the rice and so on, dont expect them to taste like regular cows milk. I havnt tried almond yet. Watch out for sweetened soy or almond milks then are double the calories.
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I'm happiest drinking Coconut milk+calcium as it's only 20kcal per 100ml... If that's not around then its Light and unsweetened soya milk for 22kcals per 100ml...But if neither of them are around its Vanilla Rice milk which is a bit higher calorie wise at 50kcal per 100ml...but its yummy and I can't be dealing with normal milk!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure on all the actual benefits of the different types of milk. I don't like soy milk at all and rice milk isn't really the best thing either. I agree with Chantal. It tastes like soy bean water or water that has rinsed rice. Almond milk was okay, but left this coated feeling in my mouth.

I have since change to fat free/skim cow's milk and am drinking Oberweis Dairy just because the taste is far better in my opinion.

I think with this, you just need to look at the different values for each and decide which you like the best. Almond milk was my favorite of the alternate milks, but I'd much rather drink cow's milk in the end.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I developed an intolerance to dairy a few years ago (after reading that milk can lead to skin blemishes, which it did for me and now I have flawless skin finally!).

In all the nut milks/soy milks/rice milks I've tried, my favourite BY FAR is President's Choice Organic low-fat soy.
    It's sweetened, but at least doesn't have any chalky/powdery taste. Plus, knowing that the ingredients are all organic puts my mind at ease. I like to know that I'm putting less chemically processed crap in my body!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't quite know all of the benefits but I like almond milk - it has more calcium than cow's milk, comes from a plant, you can drink if you are lactose intolerant, has added benefit of vitamin E, fewer calories than cow's milk, doesn't have the added hormones from what the cow drinks/eats. Somebody once gave me a good example of why not to drink cows milk..... it's generated to feed a baby cow that grows into an adult cow, which happens much quicker than human growth. yet we drink it and want to look slim and healthy.... Go figure.

Hope this is a little help.

EXACTLY!!!!

...and if you really want to get grossed out, head over to PETA's website and check out how some farmers get the milk