Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Still have belly fat

Hello everyone I have lost 25 pounds since December 2015. I have maintained my weight and still on a restricted diet. Still have belly fat and want to know what else I need to do to lose it? I'm 5'3 and my current weight is 138.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Just keep pressing forward at a small deficit. It will happen ever so slowly. I wish I could say I speak from experience but I am right with you. However I have done a lot of research and have seen others do it, and they did it with that deficit. 250 under over a long period of time will do it. Just make sure you are losing an average of .5 lbs per week, and eat lots of protein so you don't lose muscle. If you aren't losing an average of .5 a week you aren't eating at a 250 deficit. Keep tweaking your calorie intake until you are and then press forward. You can do it! I can too. I know I can!! :smiley:
    Another thing you can do is eat at a 250-500 surplus for a week every couple of months to reset your hormones and metabolism. Then go back to that deficit.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    I know people say you can't spot reduce, but when I reduce my sugar intake to only fruit, stop eating refined carbs (only whole grains) and cut out all the alcohol I seem to lose my belly fat before anything else. Could just be anecdotal evidence but it just seems to work that way with me.
  • I agree with LiveLoveFitFab. I have been losing weight pretty steadily since I began seeing a nutritionist and paying more attention to food choice. But I know I have a problem with sugar and enjoy 2-4 Moscow mules per week, although I stopped using diet soda as a mixer and switched to seltzer water and homemade ginger juice. I know that I would lose belly fat so much faster by cutting out sugar and alcohol, but I have settled for cutting back significantly and having steady weight loss. Interval training and strength training with Kettle bells have helped a lot. I have also found that walking is very effective for losing belly fat, especially uphill and intervals of jogging/speed walking. Of the 18 or so pounds I have lost, the majority of it is body fat (I have my body fat measured at my diet coach office every 1-2 months) and my stomach is smaller than it used to be. I just noticed the other day that I need to invest in a new belt. I even lost weight during the holidays, despite enjoying a few extra cocktails and Christmas goodies.

Do you have children? Even my very petite and skinny friends who have had children complain that the "mommy pouch" won't budge, no matter what they do. My bestie has actually found that when she loses too much weight, the pouch becomes more pronounced because she is so lean everywhere else. She started strength training at one point and put on weight, but her stomach looked a lot smaller because she gained muscle that she did not have before. When she stopped, the muscle disappeared, she lost weight, but her "pouch" reappeared. And she weighs about what you weigh and wears a size 2 at her smallest, and up to a size 8. Sorry if this is too long. Hope it helps!