itchy tingly thighs after walking?

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
I noticed today in the middle of an hour long walk that my thighs began tingling and itching terribly. Does anyone know why they would do this? (I just started exercising again)

Replies

• kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I noticed today in the middle of an hour long walk that my thighs began tingling and itching terribly. Does anyone know why they would do this? (I just started exercising again)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to start off slower....bad circulation??? I have no idea :huh: I hope someone can give you better advice. All and all I hope you are ok
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have had that before. Some people told me that it was from bad circulation, it gets better the more you do it:ohwell: Hope it feels better soon:flowerforyou:
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing :) It is your circulation... nothing to be concerned about. Just keep walking! As you do it more, the less it will happen... If it adds to my credit, I'm a registered nurse. The blood is flowing... vessels are dilating... muscles are moving... it's all good for you. If you ever feel that you can't feel your toes or there is a red streak up your leg, or it is warm or swollen, then you should call an advice nurse... they will want you to see your doctor. Hope that helps!
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Options
    My legs get twitchy sometimes after working out, though they never have itched! I personally love the feeling! I think feeling all the little twitches feels good and like I really got a good workout.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for helping me out, I really didn't want to lead her in a bad direction.:flowerforyou:
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This happens to me WHILE walking, if I'm walking outside in cooler weather. It also happens to me almost everytime AFTER I walk or run. I just figured it was the increase of blood flow to the muscles and skin.
  • ooorabbittyooo
    Options
    I've had that before...it's very bothersome. Is there any immediate temp. relieve to that?
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You can also elevate your legs after the walk to help relieve the symptoms.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem before and it does get better after you continue to walk. If I got a few days without walking the same thing will happen so I make sure that I get a little time on the treadmill or on the street everyday...even if it is just a few minutes. I don't have this happen on the elliptical or bike...just walking on the street or treadmill. Thought I was the only one in the world that this happened too, but it appears that I am not.

Just keep walking..after a few days it won't happen anymore!!
  • Budweiser
    Options
    I haven't exercised in a long time, but i have been noticing when it does get cooler and i do walk, that I get this terrible itching on the inside of my thighs. It's hard not to scratch it, and when you do scratch it, the itching pain gets worse! I just started walking tonight and the temps are around 0 C and after about 12 minutes of brisk walking the itch started in my thighs and even on the insides of my feet! Needless to say i cut my walk short by about 30 minutes! I'm not sure what to do and wonder if buying a treadmill to use indoors away from the cooler temperatures if this would be a good resolution?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, the itchy part I can relate. My legs and lower torso used to do the same thing when I would walk. The last time I tried to lose weight (about 5 years ago), I walked every day 5-8 miles a day, and the itching would be so bad at times that I would be in tears. Scratching didn't help--it only made it worse and left angry looking marks on my skin.

I finally went to the doctor and asked because it didn't get better with more exercise. The doc said that it sounded like an allergic reaction to her. She said that some people have a form of allergy that expresses itself through itchy skin. Turns out that basically, I'm "allergic" to exercise!

When my body temp raises due to exercise, my body reacts by having an allergic reaction. That's why it never got better and that's why it didn't get better in cold or hot weather and that's why it itched no matter if I wore long pants or shorts. It was a form of allergy that was tied to my body temperature.

The doc said it's really not all that uncommon but I just happened to have a more severe reaction than many.

She told me to take a Claritin a day--those are over-the-counter allergy pills. They don't make you drowsy either. It took a few days to get in my system but after that, the itching stopped!

That was 5 years ago. I've continued to take one Claritin a day. I buy the generic version by the bottle at my local drug store. Two months worth costs about $15 or so. I still have not itching when I walk or bike or work out at the gym. AND, as a wonderful side benefit, I have stopped having my usual winter colds. I had asthma growing up and ALWAYS got a cold around Christmas that often went into asthma and last for up to 3 weeks.

Since I've been on the Claritin, no Christmas cold! I think that in 5 years, I've had 2 spring/summer colds and they were minor and lasted 3-4 days.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that from my experience, it might be something other than "muscle" getting used to exercise.

Go to the drug store and pick up some Claritin or generic of it (the generic is called Loratadine). Try taking it for a few days and see what happens.

Oh, and give your doc a call first if you're on any other drugs to make sure they will be no drug interaction! But it might be the solution you need. I'm Diabetic with high blood pressure and I have no problem taking it.

Good luck!
  • dropdead007
    Options
    This happens to me too!! Today as i was walking on the treadmill it starting itching and it feels like tiny bubbles going off in my thighs it really is unbearable. The lady that talked of taking claritin is a hero for her very detailed email i will definately talk to my doctor about it now i keep forgetting to each time i go in as i usually only go in when i'm ill so i guess i focus on the illment not my thighs but i plan on calling his office tomorrow and asking. Gosh i finally decided to do a search on the net today and i am so glad to find this site and this article!!!!!

thanks all>
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. If I walk really early after just getting up it happens or if I haven't walked in a few days and start again. The more I walk the less I have the problem though!