Still starving after I've had my lunch!!!

Options
So I just had a grilled chicken greek salad without dressing or pita bread. It was very good but I've noticed that I'm still hungry. I guess my body is still adjusting to the lack of carbs and heavy food it has been used to getting all these years. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Lesley

Replies

• kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    Options
    drink lots of water, it will pass.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are hungry or could you be thirsty? Drink some water and if you are really hungry in awhile then have a snack since it will be snack time anyways.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some water. Perhaps a glass of milk - might cut the hunger pangs. Give yourself time to adjust to your new eating habits - it really does get better and pretty quickly really.
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Drink water or green tea...

You may just be thinking about it too much. When I started this MFP I used to think about meal times all the time and calories... just try give it an hours or so drink water or green tea then judge it then :) good luck!
  • AuntNiecey
    AuntNiecey Posts: 26
    Options
    Have enough chicken on it?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Have a mint or a small piece of chocolate. The sweetness tells your brain that you're done eating.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    More protein and why skip the dressing? (I don't use them myself but I get my fats elsewhere ie nuts!) you need your healthy fats to help feeling full!

<br>
    ETA - and of course fiber, which I meant to add but the post after mine reminded me of it :)
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Try something with more fiber too... my doctor made me up the fiber in my diet, and since then I rarely get that hungry feeling.

That or like everyone says... drink the water! :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you ate enough?

If I'm not sure I give it the 20 minute test.
    Try and get involved with something else for a while, if your still hungry 20 minutes later it means you need more food eat something nutrient dense food. Usually a small amount of nuts works for me.

If you got distracted by what you were doing, then you weren't really hungry.

They say it takes 20 minutes for the message to get from your stomach to your brain. MFP has been very helpful tool for me to know when to stop. Maybe some day I'll learn to do that on my own.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Try adding healthy fats to your salad: a few slices of avacado or using coconut oil as a base for a vinaigrette.

As soon as I added back healthy fats to my eating plan, I stopped being hungry after eating. It'll take a few days for you to find a balance, but you should feel better. And just watch the amount of salt in any low cal/low fat dressings - it's better to learn to make your own and carry those little containers with you!
  • Lesley2007
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.....I'm going to drink more water. Also, I have a small banana at my desk but a friend of mine told me to stay away from fresh fruits when trying to lose weight. I'm not really trying to lose weight but I'm trying to tone up. I've definitely got the skinny fat syndrome. I'm really wanting this banana right now....lol. Stay away from it or is it safe? :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    EAT THE BANANA
    I think fresh fruits are wonderful foods- full of healthy things, including water. Bananas also have some fiber in them to help you stay full longer.
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=7
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If you just want to tone, you need to be eating your maintenance calories. This should NOT necessitate cutting dressing.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.....I'm going to drink more water. Also, I have a small banana at my desk but a friend of mine told me to stay away from fresh fruits when trying to lose weight. I'm not really trying to lose weight but I'm trying to tone up. I've definitely got the skinny fat syndrome. I'm really wanting this banana right now....lol. Stay away from it or is it safe? :)

Eat the banana! Fruits are good.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I think I am going disagree with most of the posts on this topic. I don't think you are eating enough. I just looked at your diary and your daily goal seems to be 1200 calories. That dangerously is close to too few calories. In generally I think sever calorie restricted diets fail over the long run.

Personally I think eating your MBR (setting your goal to maintenance) and then use activity and exercise for your deficit (not eat for exercise). is a better approach Eating more will give your body nutrients it needs and trying to eat for exercise on weight loss program can be challenging because it is hard to estimate accurately the number of calories burned during exercise.

In general I think that is healthy, long term approach that has the benefit of not only losing weight but improving your health. In my view it should be about performance, the rest will follow.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i just had 2 eggs on wholemeal toast with cottage cheese, a light salad and a carrot. im heaps full!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm always full after a meal but during TOM I crave a lot of foods, chewing gum seems to help me
  • cupeycakekisses
    Options
    I drink gallons of water or ice tea[no sugar] and I am still starving XD

I have no clue how people diet and aren't hungry like 24/7
    Maybe it's just me?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm dieting and losing weight just fine. At the caloric restriction over what I use to eat... I am eating 2000+ calories a day (Sunday was over 3000 calories) and losing weight. As it's a decrease from what was being eaten before I started here.