How often to take measurements?

Options
I'm doing strength training as a a part of my weight loss plan so I've been advised against relying on the scale since I lift heavy and frequently. As far as measurements, how often do people recommend taking them? I should point out that I am already a healthy BMW of 21.something so I'm not exprcting to lose quickly or anything. What is a realistic time frame to see change in measurements? Thanks guys xoxo

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I plan measurements every Saturday - I find most stable measurements first thing in the morning and that's a day I usually have time...I would say I don't normally see anything drastic from week to week, usually only 1/4 inch changes...but over the course of about a month the 1/4 inches add up and the numbers become more dramatic.

I like measuring every week, and sometimes I forget or am too busy, so if I miss one and I'm measuring weekly I don't feel like I have to worry about having missed a week. If I were planning it monthly and missed one I would feel like it was a bigger deal to miss.
  • TAKCEGM
    TAKCEGM Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I measure the same time I weigh in - every Sunday morning after I wake and use the bathroom.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I'll do bi-weekly and won't expect drastic drops. So, I know this is an abstract concept but does anyone have any idea around how much fat loss results in an inch of fat? I read somewhere that about 1 inch off your waist is 5 pounds. That seems strange as I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't vary from individual
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Amount of fat loss per inch of measurement really depends on how your body distributes and removes fat. Some people carry a lot of weight in their abdomen, some in hips/thighs, some all over - and you may lose fat in one area at a time and not others. For instance I drop weight around my waist first then boobs then face/neck then thighs/calves/arms. I can lose inches off my waist before there is any change at all in my hips.

For measurement I'd recommend weekly or biweekly. Lets you spot changes without obsessing constantly or waiting for a month.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    At most every two weeks, I tend to do once/month with clients.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Almost never...my trainer will do my measurements about once per month or so though. I mostly just look at the mirror.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I used to do it once a month since I was losing really slowly and the scale didn't really move too often. Now I only do it once every few months.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    At most every two weeks, I tend to do once/month with clients.

I weigh daily (and input the data into a trending app); measure and take progress pics monthly.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add a question. Which body parts do you measure?
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kkress92 wrote: »

This should help you out...

http://www.dummies.com/health/how-to-get-your-body-measurements/

(PS - I'm not inferring that you're a "dummy". That just happens to be the link I chose. ;) )
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

This should help you out...

http://www.dummies.com/health/how-to-get-your-body-measurements/

(PS - I'm not inferring that you're a "dummy". That just happens to be the link I chose. ;) )

Thanks for the info, but my question was more towards surveying others as to which body parts they measure and track. Ex. Waist only, everything from the neck down, or something in between
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options

Exactly the question I was going to ask.

• successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I measure neck, upper arm, wrist, waist, around the upper pelvic bone/lower stomach (my largest point), upper thigh, calf, ankle.

Biggest losses noted in neck, waist and pelvic region. Though its hard to measure myself. I've noted my waist and pelvis alternate. I lost an inch around my waist, then pelvis, not both at the same time. I've dropped a clothing size and a half, my 16" necklaces are loose again, my rings fit better.
  • angelanewall
    angelanewall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been using my fitness Pal for over a year. I have lost 9kg, I only just realised that I could have added my measurements also. So that is my plan to also do measurements as well as weight. I normally weigh in once a week. I have found this app beneficial to meet my needs.