TREADMILL VS TRACK!!!

Options
OK!!! i have a serious question to ask u guys am sure am not the only person who has been wondering this. Ive been working out on the treadmill as well as the track for a month now and i cant seem to figure out which one is giving me a better workout towards my goal weight. maybe someone can help me figure out which one is actually better for you body!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Where a HRM and see how many calories you burn during the same amount of time and or distance.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how each activity makes you feel. Sounds like it could just be a matter of individual preference. I run on a treadmill and think its easier than running outside because I can run whatever time of day I want/can, am in the air conditioning which helps me last longer than if I was running int he Florida humidity, and I can control my speed and incline much easier. Outside, the weather, the terrain, and the speed are all variables I cant control as easily.
    However, I know plenty of people who would NEVER run on a treadmill (aka dreadmill) and prefer being outside.
    I think it just depends on what you prefer.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been working out primarily on the treadmill since March and I went to the track for the first time on Friday. SInce I run at an incline indoors, I figured it would be easier.....yeah that was so not the case. So for me, track running seems to be tougher who knows why. My two cents
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on the runner.

For me, the treadmill is harder. When I'm on the treadmill I'm often doing speed workouts. And because they treadmill is unabashedly even paced, it keeps me on my toes. :)
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 3
    Options
    I finished Couch to 5K and I did so on the treadmill almost entirely, but I did do some runs outside. Obviously running outside is going to be up and down. For me, I do not notice that one really gives a better workout over the other. It depends on how you have your treadmill set up for your runs. All even or differing speed, tilt, etc. will make it more of a challenge.

For me, I started out running 5 mph (12 min miles). I have recently started the Couch to 5K for a second time and I have upped my speed to 6 mph (10 min miles). I am only on the second week, but I know that going on the treadmill keeps me at that pace. When I ran outside a few weeks ago in my first 5K, I ran it much faster than what I had been training for on the treadmill. For the C25K training, I liked training on the treadmill and then including runs outside too so I would be use to those when race time came around.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is generally a bit easier on the joints than running on a track. It's also good for keeping a perfect consistent speed. For me, it really depends on the day, time and weather that I'm going out for a run whether it's outside or on a treadmill.