Food question.....

Options
schninie82
schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
Q1. Pasta.... Do you weigh the pasta before or after it's cooked because when it's cooked, there's only a handful of pasta twists to make 100g!!! Like, 10 pasta twists for 150+ Cals?? Can't be right surely..??

Q2. Potato.... I weighed a potato on Friday it was 170g+, then I pricked it,  put it in the microwave to cook it into a jacket potato, and then it weighed 80g+..... WTH?? what do I log it as, the before or after weight?? confused.com

Replies

• cmbuchanan
    Options
    It has always been my understanding that you weigh the food before it is cooked. I know for sure you weigh meat before it is cooked so I would think it is the same for all food. The potato probably lost a lot of water in the cooking process!
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    THat is often my probplem with grains and pasta is getting a true serving after cooked
  • kymmixxx
    kymmixxx Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You should weight your meats before and after, usually a 3 oz piece of raw meat will be about 2 oz after it is cooked. You weigh pasta/rice before it is cooked, because it expands once it is cooked. For example a serving of instant rice is 1/2 cooked, but it yields 3/4 cups after it is cooked.....
  • schninie82
    Options
    You see the thing is, with pasta, when it's cooked, the water soaks into it, water=zero cals... So why weigh after, cos that'll be the water that's added to the weight... So weigh before then??
  • sandradi11
    sandradi11 Posts: 29
    Options
    I usually go with the uncooked weight but some packets will give you the calorie content for both cooked and uncooked so that helps :-)
  • rmjj5
    rmjj5 Posts: 55
    Options
    My understanding is that for pasta is the calories are indicated in weight format it means before it is cooked, if it is in measurement format then it is after being cooked :)
  • txgator
    txgator Posts: 65
    Options
    bump

OK...WHAT DOES BUMP MEAN??? lol
  • schninie82
    Options
    My understanding is that for pasta is the calories are indicated in weight format it means before it is cooked, if it is in measurement format then it is after being cooked :)

You're confusing me, isn't weight a measurement?
  • schninie82
    Options
    It just means you'd like to know the answer too but come back and check for it after....
  • schninie82
    Options
    I usually go with the uncooked weight but some packets will give you the calorie content for both cooked and uncooked so that helps :-)

Yeah this one is Asda Frusilli Pasta, only gives uncooked...