Looking for some low carb friends.

Options
I'm doing low carb / high protien (and loving it) due to a being diagnosed diabetic. Anyone else out there doing LC? Add me!

Replies

• kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am! Add me! I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and have a huge family history of diabetes.
  • cdavison2018
    cdavison2018 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Favorite for breakfast sautéed fresh spinach, diced onion, sliced mushrooms, and one whole brown egg in one pat butter. Can easily add other veggies and/or double for two. Wonderful staple to start a fantastic day!
  • hhawley
    hhawley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am! Please add me as well! I am not diabetic...however, eating low carb/high protein is the only thing which has helped me feel better and lose weight at 40 something.
  • Rachel3292
    Rachel3292 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started eating low carb/high protein meals to lose weight I've gained since having my son 6 years ago. I'm new to counting macros and meal prepping but I love it so far. If anyone has any favorite recipes for low carb/ high protein, please share! :)
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb as well. Please add:)
  • wendypark811
    wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    You can add me I need some guidance, advice and to talk to people who don't mind this.
    20g porridge oats and 50g potatoes are about my limit after than I get stomach ache.
    Gluten free and lactose/a1 protein free ( found in milk)
    Thanks wendy
  • IdahoAdventurer
    IdahoAdventurer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing low carb/high protein, and it seems to be working well. fell free to add me!
  • andersonjo0306
    andersonjo0306 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am here too if anyone wants to add me. I ate this way for 10 years and was at my lowest weight. When I stopped I gained so here we go again. I have been at it for less than 10 days and I am down 8 lbs. Yes I know about water weight but weight is weight. I love eating this way and have a lot of creative means of making food if anyone is interested
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am a Keto'er...I have lost 91 lbs ....I have 30 to go ....Feel free to add me ...wishing you the best :)
  • SusanHill6
    SusanHill6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im doing low carbs. You can add me.
  • slimmint
    slimmint Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm low carb high protein also dueto diabetic...

Let's be friends
  • Toni5569
    Toni5569 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group & know that many people are for low carb. I've read about Atkins which I understand to be almost no carb. Have also read about South Beach which starts out no carb but adds some in later. What are each of u doing as far as carbs go? Complete elimination or limited amounts? I've heard from many including my doctor that after one stops the low carb eating way, they gain it all back. Have any of u experienced this? I'm trying to decide on how low I should go. My concern is that it's not realistic, at least for me, to be low carb forever, & that any progress I make will be reversed once I eat normally. Would appreciate your input.
  • FatFellaUK
    FatFellaUK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Doing Low carb to, but LCHF...using healthy fats. Do not go too high with protein, add fat instead as this will be used for the your bodies fuel due to the reduction in Carbs. I to am diabetic, but using the LCHF diet I have lost 1 stone 6 Ibs (20Ibs) sine 8th January. My wife is also doing the same diet and has lost a stone too.
  • FatFellaUK
    FatFellaUK Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Toni5569 wrote: »
    I'm new to this group & know that many people are for low carb. I've read about Atkins which I understand to be almost no carb. Have also read about South Beach which starts out no carb but adds some in later. What are each of u doing as far as carbs go? Complete elimination or limited amounts? I've heard from many including my doctor that after one stops the low carb eating way, they gain it all back. Have any of u experienced this? I'm trying to decide on how low I should go. My concern is that it's not realistic, at least for me, to be low carb forever, & that any progress I make will be reversed once I eat normally. Would appreciate your input.

To go low carb needs to be a lifestyle choice not just a short diet. If you are Type II diabetic or have Insulin Resistance (IR), you need to reduce you carb intake to lose weight. Many people reduce their carbs to 5% of daily intake, after you have lost the weight you may start introducing more carbs, such as fruit and see how it goes. Find the 'Sweet spot' where your at the limit for carb intake without adding weight and stick to this.
    Remember that if you go back to eating starchy carbs and junk food you will just end up back where you started, so you need to make a commitment to a lifestyle change, this will make you more healthy and limit the effects of being a diabetic.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've read about Atkins which I understand to be almost no carb. Have also read about South Beach which starts out no carb but adds some in later.
    Atkins starts out very low carb, 20g day, but only for a couple of weeks. Then you add back carbs slowly to reach your particular tolerance of how many you can eat and continue to lose weight. South Beach isn't "no carb" either, and its initial phase is less restrictive than Atkins. Go to their web sites or their books and check them out directly.

IWhat are each of u doing as far as carbs go? Complete elimination or limited amounts?
    It's very difficult to eliminate ALL carbs unless you go to a meat-only diet, and even then, there are trace amounts of carb. Completely eliminating certain types of carbs--sugar, grains, starchy vegetables, most fruit--for a while is much more doable. (You don't eliminate ALL vegetables, contrary to uninformed popular opinion. Most people eat MORE vegetables on low-carb.) As you get closer to your goal weight, you can add back small amounts of some of the stuff like white potatoes and higher-sugar fruits.

I've heard from many including my doctor that after one stops the low carb eating way, they gain it all back. My concern is that it's not realistic, at least for me, to be low carb forever, & that any progress I make will be reversed once I eat normally.
    If you exercised regularly for six months or a year, became fit, and then stopped exercising, would you expect to remain fit? Of course not. Then why would you expect the benefits of the low-carb way of eating to continue after you stop doing it? Eating "normally" is what got you where you are.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family. I've watched my dad deal with it for 20+ years. I don't want to go there. I keep carbs down to 75g or less most days, and have since about the time South Beach came out. It's very sustainable.
  • HonduranHaze
    HonduranHaze Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled you started this thread. I am looking to follow users who eat high protein/low carb so I can see what they are eating and get ideas.

• Toni5569
    Toni5569 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you castlerobber for your info. Very helpful.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started LC a few weeks ago on my doctor's recommendation. I try to stay under 100g of carbs per day, and have lost 10 lbs. since January 1st. I feel so much better!
  • LEAS86
    LEAS86 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I eat LCHF too. Been eating this way for around 8 months (apart from at Christmas!) and love it.
    I try and keep to under 50g of carbs/day - my diary is open, feel free to add me or have a nose around my diary! The Low Carber Daily Forum is a great group full of lots of information if you're new to low carb living