starving

Options
Every once in a while I have these days where I wake up starving and I feel that way for the rest of the day. No matter how much I eat I still feel hungry. Anyone else deal with this? I am trying to get back on track after having a very bad food week last week and feeling like I am starving all day is not helping!
Is there any specific food that helps when you feel like this? I am not craving anything, actually I dont want to eat at all, I just have this constant feeling of hunger. Should I eat or just try to hold out till dinner? I hate feeling like this!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm having one of those today. Instead of eating more I keep drinking tea and water. Cravings are not satisfied but, they should pass. Good luck on your journey.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get like that sometimes..I just try and find something low cal and try and just eat a half serving of it and see if it helps.. Just to get me through
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    soup! The BBC did a documentary called How to be Slim or somethign like that and they found that soup kept you fuller longer compared to the same amount of food and water eaten speperaely. Progresso makes some good, light chicken noodle!
  • adskipper
    adskipper Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same here! I usually have those days following weekends that I strayed from my diet! Yeabby is right, water and hot tea seem to help. Good luck!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get that way about a week and a half before TOM. I feel like I can eat an entire cow and still be hungry.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Find foods with fiber and complex carbs, those take longer to digest and help you feel fuller longer.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    egg whites and water. works like a charm for me everytime. the protein fills me up, and it's very low in calories so if I go "over" it's only 75 calories for a 1/3 cup of egg whites.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your pic you have a young baby. Are you breastfeeding? If you are its possible baby is having a growth spurt and taking more from you. I've been dealing with this as well and I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calories a little for my baby's sake.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water and lots of tea. Iced tea, hot tea... whatever. I've also been told that foods high in fiber tend to help curb cravings. Haven't really tried that, but water. Lots and lots of water.... That definitely works.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I get that way about a week and a half before TOM. I feel like I can eat an entire cow and still be hungry.

Same here.
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That happens to me for days after eating pasta or high carb, high fat foods. When I eat good protein, fiber, veggies, fruits, etc. I don't have that issue. Not sure this helps - but good luck to you. :bigsmile:
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that, I find that a small amount of exercise, such as 10-50 jumping jacks (done until breathing speeds up), helps. I think it coaxes the liver into releasing a little bit of glucose and/or fatty acids into the bloodstream.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I find tons of water and tea (it's summer so it's iced tea) and I mean gallons help some. Last night I was literally starving (or so my mind and body thought) I did half a peanut butter on whole wheat. The protein and fiber definitely helped me feel a lot better. Normally if I get enough protein I'm good to go as well...best of luck. Today I'm hungry but it's too dang hot to eat...time for more water i guess...*lol*
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a huge glass of water. I've read that a lot of times when you think you are hungry, you are really just thirsty. I tried it (even though I hate water) and it works for me. It can't hurt to try it. :drinker:

And if you drink a glass of water and 30 minutes later you are still hungry, it could be that you are actually needing to eat. Try something high in protein... :happy:
  • sandradi11
    sandradi11 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have these days a lot! I find miso soup is a god send and at only around 17 calories it's a winner imo :-)
  • luckybarton
    Options
    I had one of those days Saturday, and it did not end until I went to bed! I had small servings of all my desires, and recorded everything--- all of it! Compared to "before", it was not as bad as it could have been. Don't get me wrong, it was a bad day! My food diary was twice as long as usual. Sunday, I began again, and recorded and planned everything, making sure I ate foods that were from one of my best days. I slipped only once, and Monday was back on track. Take every day one at a time! Try soups, too! Good luck.
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    I noticed in your pic you have a young baby. Are you breastfeeding? If you are its possible baby is having a growth spurt and taking more from you. I've been dealing with this as well and I'm thinking I may need to adjust my calories a little for my baby's sake.

Yes I am breast feeding and I was starting to think that might have something to do with it! Maybe she is eating more and I dont even realize it.
  • yogamom16
    Options
    soup! The BBC did a documentary called How to be Slim or somethign like that and they found that soup kept you fuller longer compared to the same amount of food and water eaten speperaely. Progresso makes some good, light chicken noodle!

Soup! Thats a great idea and it actually sounds yummy right now. Thanks!
  • yogamom16
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Soup is such a good idea. I usually try to avoid it because of the salt but today that might be exactly what I need. :)
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    In my experience that's when I'm about to drop weight (assuming I'm not undereating and experiencing necessary hunger).

After hitting maintenance, it was due to TOM or eating/drinking too much artificial sugar.