Stationary Bike or Treadmill?

Options
I've been using the stationary bike the past few weeks and I love it because it doesn't put too much tension on my knees. I'm 5'9 and a little under 300 lbs, so the weight can become bothersome while on the treadmill. I use the treadmill, but usually for less than 15 mins because it gets sooo boring! What I want to know is, is the treadmill really better than the bike? I was researching and of course people get results using a stationary bike, but I found a few articles that basically stated that by using your own weight instead of pedaling a bike, that would aid a lot better in weight loss. I would only walk, which is what I've always done on the treadmill. Not really into running at this time.

Replies

• Idle_Moon
    Idle_Moon Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    In this case, the bike is the best because you enjoy it more and it doesn't hurt you. :)
    Stick to whatever you like!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How about the stationary bike and actually walking instead of a treadmill? I enjoy walking but am with you about how boring a treadmill would be.
  • UnicornGlitterQueen
    Options
    I like the stationary bike because I can pedal to the beat of the song I'm listening to at the time. I can't do that on the treadmill. I also prefer feeling the breeze on my face and the scenery going by as I'm walking. It makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something. I'm also terrified that I'd trip on a treadmill and end up as an embarrassing Facebook meme lol.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What ever works for you. Only you know your body and how it reacts. Some people can't pedal a bike because it hurts their knees but walk/run fine and vice versa.
  • Truvanessa
    Truvanessa Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I personally like the treadmill. It is a way to focus my thoughts. It also relieves stress. It takes time to get used to and build up endurance. It's a good workout.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    As others have said, whatever works for you. Whatever that is, keep at it and you'll be glad you did.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For calorie burning, you can use the treadmill more effectively but it does require fairly steep inclines and moving at various paces. I have arthritis in both knees so sometimes the higher impact just doesn't work. To me, the stationary bike just takes too long to burn the number of calories I want. Even the difficult hill options do not seem to make the calorie burn more effective. But that's me. If you have had good success on the bike, I'd continue to use it. I also agree that taking an actual walk can be very good. I lost my first 20+ pounds several years ago by simply taking quick walks (10 to 15 minutes) around the block before going into work. They do more than you think...
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's what you prefer. I like my treadmill as it's pointed to my tv on purpose! Biking? I prefer outside and biking on the dirt roads. I actually enjoy a recumbent bike if I am biking indoors.

It's completely preference based and what your goals are
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I use both, plus the rowing machine. And I have my regular bike on an indoor trainer at home.

As others have said, it's all good. Do what you like and will keep doing!
  • healthypelican
    healthypelican Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    The bike uses more calories, is less noisy and self powered so would use less electricity! I have a treadmill but don't use it that much because I am not particulary motivated- I have a dog I have to walk every day and mine makes a lot of noise. I thought I would watch tv/movies while on it, but its actually hard to hear whatever is on. I think a walking desk would be cool though, if you were in an office environment.
  • violetta5345
    violetta5345 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I prefer the stationary bike. I have some issues with my knees, but even when I didn't I was never a runner. I've always preferred cycling and walking outdoors. As many have said, do whatever like because you have a better chance of sticking with exercise you enjoy.
  • aubxspice
    aubxspice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I seem to burn more calories on the bike rather than using the treadmill. I'll try to incorporate outdoor walks. Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Energy expenditure isn't about what machine you're using...energy expenditure is about moving mass over distance plus intensity.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Do you have any issues with circulation? I'm asking this because I do. Basically, any cut or scrape on my calves runs the risk of infection and, due to poor lower body circulation, it's slow to heal and could require several courses of antibiotics, daily dressing changes, etc. Plus, I need to be in compression stockings and can't wear them with an unhealed (or even scabbed over) wound.

Why am I sharing? Because I was on an old treadmill that accelerated from 3.0 to 5.3 mph as I was stepping onto the belt, got tossed off, and ground my calf into the basement carpet. It's been about a month now, and the scrape is finally healing!

I'm using a ski machine, now.

If you have similar issues, stick with the bike.
  • aubxspice
    aubxspice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No.. no issues with circulation. I can go long distances on the bike and I burn more calories than a treadmill. The treadmill can hurt my knees if I'm walking too fast, and it also takes forever to hit 5 miles and the calorie range I'm looking to burn. I'll incorporate the weight lifting then because I don't want to be too flabby. I thought I'd keep the strength training for the end of my journey when it's time to tone. Thank you for your tip
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The one you will be more likely to stick with is the best one for you.

For me, its the rowing machines or treadmills. For my housemate it is the spin bikes or cross-trainers.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you because you are more likely to stick with it! :)

I started out on the bike at over 300 pounds it was easiest on my joints. I ended up getting tired of sitting one day I was about 40 minutes into an hour ride and decided to try walking on the treadmill I now bike and walk about half hour combined and then spend a good half hour 45 minutes lifting weights because I now enjoy that :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should do what you enjoy most. Generally people burn more calories walking, because it's more of a total body exercise (as long as you don't hold on) while the bike only moves your legs, but if it causes pain, then you should limit it. As you lose weight, walking will become easier and you may want to get outside sometimes rather than sit on the bike indoors. But for now, whatever works. Do you have access to a pool for pool walking? That is much easier on the knees.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should do what you enjoy most. Generally people burn more calories walking, because it's more of a total body exercise (as long as you don't hold on) while the bike only moves your legs, but if it causes pain, then you should limit it. As you lose weight, walking will become easier and you may want to get outside sometimes rather than sit on the bike indoors. But for now, whatever works. Do you have access to a pool for pool walking? That is much easier on the knees.

I burn way more calories cycling than I do walking...way more.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The "results" are a small calorie burn. Choose the activity you like more.