When Working Out Becomes Boring

Options
2»

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    cashidy wrote: »
    The gym is so boring to me. When I have a workout partner, I can power through it, but recently lost mine and now it seems unbearable. Running, cardio? No problem. But the gym and lifting weights? Ugh, can't I just skip today?!

I don't want to lose motivation! I have worked out 3 weeks which is more than I ever have before, but I am feeling burnt out!

I haven't lost weight which is very unmotivating as well, but for once I have not been gaining it so I know that is a win too.

Please share some motivational quotes, motivation, pictures, tips and tricks for a fulltime working sleepy lazy person.

Sounds like you are the kind of person that enjoys group workouts. There are some nice cross-fit gyms that have partnered workouts. You could sign up to one. There are night sessions as well. I guess it depends on where you are really.
    I personally love working out solo, so I guess one thing I can recommend is having your mind set about what you wanna do that day. Say 30 minutes of intense cardio, followed by some weight training that focuses on certain body parts depending on the day of the week.
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    The gym is so boring to me. When I have a workout partner, I can power through it, but recently lost mine and now it seems unbearable. Running, cardio? No problem. But the gym and lifting weights? Ugh, can't I just skip today?!

I don't want to lose motivation! I have worked out 3 weeks which is more than I ever have before, but I am feeling burnt out!

I haven't lost weight which is very unmotivating as well, but for once I have not been gaining it so I know that is a win too.

Please share some motivational quotes, motivation, pictures, tips and tricks for a fulltime working sleepy lazy person.

Sounds like you are the kind of person that enjoys group workouts. There are some nice cross-fit gyms that have partnered workouts. You could sign up to one. There are night sessions as well. I guess it depends on where you are really.
    I personally love working out solo, so I guess one thing I can recommend is having your mind set about what you wanna do that day. Say 30 minutes of intense cardio, followed by some weight training that focuses on certain body parts depending on the day of the week.

I believe I would absolutely love crossfit! Unfortunately, the closest one is 30 minutes away :(
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

I believe I would absolutely love crossfit! Unfortunately, the closest one is 30 minutes away :(

Might be worth it. We adore Crossfit.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You need a program and a goal. I can't imagine being bored lifting weights, except for maybe some accessory work like leg curls and crap. Every day I go in with a PLAN and a goal. My weights, lifts, entire program is set up for the next 9 weeks, when I will then test my maxes. After that? More plans. A hypertrophy block or two.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    You need to find an exercise you love. Other wise it's just a slog. It's not only gym stuff... think ofor dance classes. Ariel classes. Gymnastics. All these things build muscle and involve cardiovascular, mix it up and find something you enjoy more!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not much for lifting, so I'm just putting a different perspective...

I try to do "seasonal" exercises. Right now I'm doing a lot of indoor Wii-based Zumba workouts, Just Dance, etc. because I'm in a cold climate and the weather isn't always great for outdoor activities. Come summer/fall I try to get outside walking, hiking, etc. more. In the summer that's the time to get swimming in.

I have favorites but I can't stand doing the same sort of workout month or month out. That would just lead to burnout for me.

Another thing that has worked for me in the past has been having challenges. For instance, doing stairs enough to climb the Empire State Building.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Well, I'm not much for lifting, so I'm just putting a different perspective...

I try to do "seasonal" exercises. Right now I'm doing a lot of indoor Wii-based Zumba workouts, Just Dance, etc. because I'm in a cold climate and the weather isn't always great for outdoor activities. Come summer/fall I try to get outside walking, hiking, etc. more. In the summer that's the time to get swimming in.

I have favorites but I can't stand doing the same sort of workout month or month out. That would just lead to burnout for me.

Another thing that has worked for me in the past has been having challenges. For instance, doing stairs enough to climb the Empire State Building.

Same here. Consistency is great, but boredom is my worst enemy. I need to change things up month to month.