BODYWEIGHT TRAINING OR FREE WEIGHTS??

Options
WHAT BETTER RESULTS

Replies

• gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you want. Nothing more convenient than body weight exercises. Can do them anywhere.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Free weights will make it easier to increase progressive overload. But both "work". One just might work better for getting stronger.
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What are your goals - Both are considered strength training and both have a place in a workout routine. I combine them and unless it's a matter of access to free weight equipment, I'm not sure you need to make a choice. If you're looking to gain strength, you can get strong with both. If you're looking to shed fat, you can do that with either. If you're looking to gain muscle mass you're going to need to hoist a little iron.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This depends entirely on what you want your body to do, your specific goals, etc.

I know plenty of guys that look insanely ripped and "huge" by doing calisthenics / bar work or are gymnasts. I also know plenty of people who are bodybuilders. I also know dudes who are strong men.

what do you want?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    WHAT BETTER RESULTS

The one with which you will put in the effort.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is no better. Some do find it easier to just add weight to a bar. Personally I think combining movements from both "sides" is a solid way to go.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    There is no better. Some do find it easier to just add weight to a bar. Personally I think combining movements from both "sides" is a solid way to go.

Agreed. No need to think that you have to strictly pick one or the other.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight is good, and should not be neglected. Build a solid foundation but only so much it can do. In order to progress additional weight,/resistance is required.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    FREE WEIGHTS

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING

Free weights build strength faster for longer than bodyweight can hope for in its wildest dreams.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    As has been said repeatedly, it all depends on your goals.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth - male gymnasts, and guys in the military who do tonnes of calisthenics are mega sexy over guys that just pump iron. Just my personal opinion.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Body weight can take you pretty darn far. For people who can't do many pushups, work toward handstand pushups. That ought to keep you busy for a while. Ditto for other body weight stuff. Body weight squats aren't just squats without additional weight. Most of the lifts can be modified to be more or less difficult.
  • Oopher
    Oopher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally I I said do both. Overall it's what you enjoy doing and what keeps you coming back for more.
  • Karie2017
    Karie2017 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like body weight
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Freeweights. My body is too heavy a weight. Plus alot of them involve arms, wrists and hands and are painful.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    i say freeweight where you can. body weight where you can't.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    both
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,573 Member
    Options
    Both work. You have to define what you want and apply techniques and exercises from either to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png