How long did it take you to find your groove

Options
jbeth30
jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
As far as what to eat to keep you full longer and best times to eat and weight loss speed. I am going on a couple of months and feel I haven't found it yet even if I have lost 12 pounds. I keep sort of messing up along the way here and there and am slowly figuring it out but it has and is taking me some trial and error along the way! :) I really want to get to a place where my weight loss can be consistent even though I know it's not linear.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Took me a few months to stop over-complicating. When i started i had decided to try new recipes and build a little stockpile of ones i liked. Then i realized i was just wasting alot of my money so i simplified it now i eat mainly potatoes, Tofu burgers, bagels. Sense the high carb ;)? I found out i liked them when i tried to limit them (as every noob thinks of at some point+ i have pcos so nutritionist said low carb- NO)

Second i stopped trying to overcomplicate it like someone was watching how i ate 24/7 and i had to impress them i got nice and comfy :P Down 80 pounds now in 9 months

Edit: also second i stopped being scared of things like sauces and their added calories i felt better. More satisfying to have tuna potatoes with mushroom soup on top thn just dry tuna :p
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    About 25 years :#
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My groove has changed as my fitness routine has changed. I'm a lot more active than I used to be.

So, I go through spells of having to find it over again when things that had been working stop working. It's not really a big deal to make adjustments and move on at this point, though. I've been at this for over 2 years.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Im just now finding what does and does not work for me. Im still not perfect and there are kinks to work out, but after a month of struggling, I finally have a decent pattern to follow that doesnt leave me feeling unsatisfied and like I completely bombed the week.

I went back to my food diary and looked up every day that I have been here (since the 4th of Jan) and wrote down on paper my totals for each day. I went back and divided those days into 7 day categories and calculated the totals and divided by those 7 days and noticed a nasty upward trend until the last week (which I am still on) where I figured out how not to feel like I am starving.

For four weeks my calculated totals were
    12,313 Averaging 1759cal a day
    12,538 Averaging 1791cal a day
    14,113 Averaging 2016cal a day
    14,343 Averaging 2049cal a day

I thought I had been doing good!
    So far for this week its average only 5,978 and I have 3 days to go. I am aiming for 10,500 a week (1500 a day).. This week is looking up!
  • jbeth30
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Took me a few months to stop over-complicating. When i started i had decided to try new recipes and build a little stockpile of ones i liked. Then i realized i was just wasting alot of my money so i simplified it now i eat mainly potatoes, Tofu burgers, bagels. Sense the high carb ;)? I found out i liked them when i tried to limit them (as every noob thinks of at some point+ i have pcos so nutritionist said low carb- NO)

Second i stopped trying to overcomplicate it like someone was watching how i ate 24/7 and i had to impress them i got nice and comfy :P Down 80 pounds now in 9 months

Edit: also second i stopped being scared of things like sauces and their added calories i felt better. More satisfying to have tuna potatoes with mushroom soup on top thn just dry tuna :p

Omg! I love carbs! I also have a PCOS and have tried low carb diets more than once and I lose and regain ....so emotionally draining. I can't make myself go on low carb again because of it.
    I think I am realizing that I am going to have to lose at a slower pace and still have everything that I like. Every time I try to lose at the pace of 2 pounds I can't seem to stay within the limit. Right now I am gone to 1 1/2 pounds a week to see if that helps. So far I think it is much better.

80 pounds in nine months is really impressive! You should be so proud of yourself! That's really amazing. I love to hear about people that Have lost Successfully! It really motivates me. I keep telling myself that this is a journey and I have to keep trying no matter how many times I think I have messed up.

I over complicate things as well I think. That is definitely something for me to think about. Thanks for sharing

• jbeth30
    Options
    About 25 years :#
    That sounds like me. All of my life I have been trying to lose weight. Going on one diet or another. So if I factor in all of those years to get to where I am now than I could say at least 25 years for me as well.
  • jbeth30
    Options
    My groove has changed as my fitness routine has changed. I'm a lot more active than I used to be.

So, I go through spells of having to find it over again when things that had been working stop working. It's not really a big deal to make adjustments and move on at this point, though. I've been at this for over 2 years.

I can definitely see this as being true. As we always change all the time as far as our likes and dislikes and what we like to do.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm still finding it. I am 0.8 lbs away from 40 lbs down, though, and I love that I can eat whatever I want (as long as i watch the calories).
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    For me it has been a couple years and I'm still learning.

I have always believed so much diet crap and always thought I had to restrict something. But no more. I eat what I want because I have proven to myself that losing weight really is a mathematical equation and that not restricting makes me much happier.

I use IF because it works well for me.

And although I have PCOS, I am slowly incorporating more carbs into my diet while still losing at a good clip. If I hit the point that the carbs are interfering with weight loss then I will lower my macro a bit.

I also weigh daily because I like to see the numbers and I know which eating activities and bodily events affect my weight.

I'm down 14/59 pounds this year. Still working on the exercising bit of the equation.