Emotional Eating Advice

Options
Yesterday me and my girlfriend split up... As a long term emotional eater I resorted to the only thing I know—binge eat until my body shuts down and falls asleep.

I know "its okay" and that "i should feel sad because something sad happened".

But I'm sick of resorting to food to numb my pain. Does anyone have any advice for learning not to binge eat when things go south?

Thanks <3

Replies

• laura2137
    laura2137 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try to grab a fruit and go for a jog, or walk......some form of exercise to release fell Good hormones.....you will bounce back, good luck....
  • MagneticGanymede
    MagneticGanymede Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Check out the group called emotional eating. All the threads at top of group have helpful information.
    I've been working on this recently and have had success using positive affirmations, recognizing my stress/ negative emotions and finding more positive ways to cope.
    It has been a process for me to change but it has been getting better.

I'm sorry about your breakup.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lots of self-care: increase the exercise, get enough sleep, find friends to talk to, do yogic breathing two or three times a day, consider a few sessions with a therapist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7WFq17NxWA&amp;list=PL3OAz4H1xxFM0-2Xw0Og__SfPQ7jmjL3e
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz4G31LGyog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3Kch1D5oE&amp;index=6&amp;list=PL3OAz4H1xxFM0-2Xw0Og__SfPQ7jmjL3e
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Exercise is your friend.

In the long run eating to excess will create more unhappiness so try to address it asap.
  • TattooedAries
    TattooedAries Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I struggle with emotional eating too and find that taking a walk helps tremendously.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Binge eating is really hard to handle on your own. I say try a meeting of over eaters anonymous if it get really out of hand. Awesome, supportive non threatening people going through the same as you. It's an addiction so sometimes what we know we should do, grab fruit and exercise, isn't what we will do in a moment of emotional pain. Pain is very hard to walk through alone. The fact is that it hurts and we don't want to hurt. It's so very uncomfortable so sugar and fat and munching numbs us, but only in the moment we are doing it. Then in the end, not only are we hurting, but have guilt, shame and anxiety about gaining weight on top of it. I know it seems crazy to go to a meeting, but man is it nice to talk to people doing exactly what you are doing, or should say did and who have come through the other side. It's hope and encouragement that this will pass, you can face life on its own terms and even grow stronger in the process. What do you have to lose? It's free and you can always go back to other methods if it doesn't help.
  • alexpriceonline
    alexpriceonline Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's tricky for me because I'm on top and aware of my emotions 99.9% of the time and it's the 0.01% of time that I over eat. That binging happens when I'm not consciously in control. It's not a decision at that point. My body is in survival mode and just looks for calories in any form. I don't beat myself up about it, I have a lot of self compassion, it is just annoying and expensive hah!