Underactive thyroid

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have Underactive thyroid i need a diet for my cade please

I happen to disagree to a point :) As a Nurse who teaches nutrition for illnesses, and a Autoimmune sufferer I have Hashimotos autoimmune hypo thyroid my self, NOTHING and I mean nothing helped me to get my body back on track, feel optimal etc like the combo of a autoimmune paleo diet, certain supplements and getting meds optimal. But if you dont work on your gut health, making sure vitamins are optimal (Hypo thyroid is known for very Low Vit D, vit B12, intestinal permeability, IBS, etc etc)

I dont have celiacs, but i cannot eat wheat, potatoes etc. Some people can take a med and be ok. Depends where you are in your journey. I was undiagnosed for 10 years, by the time I was diagnosed my Vit d was 9 (optimal is 80), I had severe IBS, My B12 was 166! (optimal is 800) I was fat, puffy, depressed, low digestion and stomach acid, and serious brain fog and fatigue, i had to quit working as a nurse for 3 years. And i have 5 kids
    So it was not black and white, CICO. No no no. Or just take meds and boom your ok. It is usually a whole body treatment, why are you hypothyroid? Did you just have a baby? Do you eat a lot of hormone dosed meat, milk, cheese etc? Have you had your antibodies checked?

I would highly suggest you get your vitamins tested, get enough sleep and start eliminating stuff from your diet. A paleo diet to start is suggested until your body starts to get right, so many foods create inflammation in an every day diet. Scientists are finding up to 70% of our immune system is in our gut, so the types of food we eat vs CICO is critical.

I can eat *kitten* food, but 1200 cal a day and i bloat up, gain weight like no tomorrow and i am sick sick sick. But I can pay attention to calories and make sure i am eating non processed foods, whole foods and probably eat 2000 a day and im losing like crazy.

Some people will lose with just the CICO, but you will see the success rate is not good long term, So for people with Hypo Thyroid, I do think there is a special "diet" And stop using endocrine interrupters, (certain chemicals) like plastic food containers, perfumes, etc etc The list goes on. We use things in the US that are banned in other countries for everyday items. Parabens, fragrance etc

Sorry for the book :) LOL

I agree with much of this. Do some reading on it. Consider trying GF and more whole foods. Not everyone needs dietary changes but it can help others. I would stay open to it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    My sister had severe damage from Hashimoto's that was undiagnosed.

Her TSH was 856. They repeated the lab test three times to confirm it and wondered how she wasn't dead.

When she doesn't do some fad diet and actually applies herself to eat less, since she is now properly medicated, she loses weight just like anyone else, eating foods that she enjoys.

My Hashimoto's was caught before it got that bad. I've lost almost 95 pounds starting at age 52. No special diet except avoiding gluten since I do have celiac disease.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and am on meds, levels are getting better. Unless you're confirmed hashi's I wouldn't worry about the GF thing (reguLar hypo). My doc told me to go gluten and soy free since they are inflammatory to an already under attack thyroid. I dont know if I believe it but I mostly cut all the simple carbs anyway just to have more cals in my day. Deficit is king and meds don't help much with additional weight loss.