Night shift problems...

Options
Are there any fellow vampires that work the night shift and are having difficulty losing weight? Weather it's lack of motivation from sleep deprivation or just HOW to manage food when you're awake for almost 26-28 hours? Anyone? Beuller?

Replies

• okigirl101
    okigirl101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem
  • Jules_farmgirl
    Jules_farmgirl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The body burns calories over a 24 hour period, however you choose to space out your calorie in take each week shouldnt matter if you sleep during the day or at night, organization and meal planning go a long way here, if i have 11, 690 calories per week, then all i need to do is make sure i eat to that amount. After that its all choice, you cant blame everything for the reasons you put food in your mouth, you do have to take some responsibility for it.. i mean there are instances where people do need mental help, but we are all tired, even people who sleep at night and work during the day.. that cant be the reason why i cant stick to a weekly calorie allotment.

Agreed. No matter your work schedule or life, if you want it to happen, you will. That motivation and effort is solely on you and not to be blamed on circumstances. There are people on her with medical issues that cause them to struggle with weight loss and they still make it work.
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I worked night shift for years and I actually managed to lose 20 lbs... what worked for me was intermittent fasting... I would start at midnight while I was at worked and only drank water until about 5 or so and have a light breakfast... home by 830 am and went to bed... woke up bout 1-2 and ate right before I left for work .at 6.. then ate around 10pm.. don't know if that actually qualifies as 'fasting' but that schedule worked for me :)
  • NightsWatchRN
    NightsWatchRN Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Kkonowal that was more the input I was looking for. Thank you!
  • NightsWatchRN
    Options
    Only people that work night shift know the struggle of it. I expect to do work, more looking for people who know the added work night shift adds.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights off on for years. What I usually do is pack a bunch of low-cal snacks. Veggies, hummus, pretzels, cracker chips, beef jerry, etc. That way I can eat quite a bit and stay under my calories. Also, prelogging for the day tends to be really helpful, even if you end up having to go back and tweak your log to match what you actually ate.
  • rachelmhairi
    rachelmhairi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a flight attendant and a work a lot of longhaul night flights. I second Kkonowal's input. I often have a meal before my shift starts and then some breakfast about an hour or so before landing (some porridge and a banana or apple for example). I drink a few fruit teas during my shift and lots of water and normally don't feel hungry. Then get home, sleep, and when I wake up eat as normal. Been working for me and also makes me feel a lot less sick and lethargic after my shift. I also have time differences to think of so tend to stick to UK time when eating to avoid confusing my body even more!
  • NightsWatchRN
    Options
    Thank you everyone!