Anyone else on the keto-diet? Help!!

Options
Hey all. Ive recently started on the keto diet and have been going for 3 weeks now. Only thing is I have only lost 6 pound,which seems relatively low considering i am also working out 4-5 times a week. I have tried to use sources on the net to find answers but there seems to be alot of conflicting information when it comes to keto. Some saying cut out dairy, some saying eat more etc. So Im hoping to get some help through this, in order to find someone with time and experience in keto under their belt. Cheers in advance for any help/information given. :-) We are all newbies at one point right lol.

Replies

• zheeduh
    zheeduh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in 3 weeks is a lot. All those stories you hear about people losing 20 pounds a month are likely people on crash diets that won't last.

Overall, whether you do keto or regular dieting, overall calories are important. So if eating dairy causes you to eat more than your daily limit, then cut it. If it doesn't, then don't. The main thing is how many calories you ate at the end of the day.

Also, I'm pretty sure milk has a decent amount of carbs... so check that carefully.
  • liquidgold83
    liquidgold83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @tom_lebeau88 How much do you currently weigh? Also, have you been tracking what you are eating while "keto"?
    Also, do you have urine strips to test your urine for the presence of ketones? Did you cut almost ALL carbs the first 3 days to make sure your body was actually in ketosis? Let me know and I can help you out. I've been Keto since New Years day and i'm down 17 lbs with 2-3 30-45min workouts a week.
  • ToM_KeTo
    ToM_KeTo Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Ok zeeduh,cheers dude. Counting calories is something I have been neglecting to really do, so I will try harder at doing that. Thanks for the advice I appreciate it.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @tom_lebeau88 How much do you currently weigh? Also, have you been tracking what you are eating while "keto"?
    Also, do you have urine strips to test your urine for the presence of ketones? Did you cut almost ALL carbs the first 3 days to make sure your body was actually in ketosis? Let me know and I can help you out. I've been Keto since New Years day and i'm down 17 lbs with 2-3 30-45min workouts a week.

I have been keto since November 1st, 20 g carbs or less per day (except the day I didn't know that liver has carbs) and the test strips barely register anything, so I am not sure how accurate they are or maybe I just got a bad batch
  • ToM_KeTo
    Options
    I currently weight around 205 pounds. Havent really tracked what I have been eating just have been very careful in what I choose to eat. Which has been mainly meat,cheese,veg, nuts. I have some keto strips and have been showing positive for ketosis apart from after i have worked out,then it drops for some reason? Yea the first 3 days i cut them right down to bare minimum.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I've been keto for nearly 3 years. 1st thing... you need need to decide which path of keto works best for you and if you're working out a lot I'd go with low carb, higher protein than fat. Take a look at this FB page https://www.facebook.com/groups/OKL4Vitality/ for OKL (Optimal Ketogenic Living), they also have a group on MFP. There's great info through this group. Once your macro's are set you seriously need to track your eating to understand how to meet your macros. After a while it does become second nature... I still track but more to make sure I'm not over-eating. You can still gain weight by over-eating what is the 'right' food for you.

Ketones- there are three types of ketone bodies. Acetate, acetoacetate, and beta-hydroxybutyrate.
    About ketostix... they only measure acetoacetate which are excreted into the urine. Once you are keto adapted - usually 2-3 weeks they are not worth using as acetoacetate stops being excreted in large quantities. If they do go a dark colour it's usually because you're dehydrated.
    The level to check is beta-hydroxybutyrate and that is done using a blood meter and ketone strips. Readings of 0.5 to 1.5 indicate a state of ketosis and 1.5 to 3.0 is optimal.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    @marm1962 have a read of my comment about ketones. There's a reason you're not getting a reading and it's not because the ketostix are defective. A good blood meter is Freestyle Neo - the strips are expensive but you really only need to test once a week. 11pm is the best time to test as this is when ketones should be high. There's a science behind the combination of blood glucose and ketone readings for optimal fat loss.
  • ToM_KeTo
    Options
    @DEB007 thankyou for your advice.it has been extremley useful :-)
  • linda2808
    linda2808 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Exercise can make you release glycogen. Have a few carbs before exercising and protein (I have a protein shake) after.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can check out the low carb group. But it all comes down to calories. Start to track calories and see how many you are getting. The people with huge losses on keto is often caused by big water weight losses. Fat loss is going to be the same regardless of diets.