Weightloss motivation

Options
Hi all!! I have a long way to go and was wondering how everyone keeps motivated?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Habit.
  • aubxspice
    aubxspice Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've lost a little over 5 lbs this week just by intermittent fasting, cutting the calories by not indulging in sweets and soda, and cardio for at least 30 mins 5x a week. I've been taking photos and hoping on the scale ALMOST everyday. That may seem a little too much, but I can see that I'm not as bloated in my photos. I don't really count calories because I've done that before and essentially entered into an eating disorder. I know what I should I eat, and I generally keep a tab of the calories- but not every bite. Does that make sense? The photos help me because even though it's been a short period of time, I can see myself getting smaller. I feel stronger too. I look at my body naked every time I'm in the mirror as well. I don't obsess, but I keep an eye on my body every. single. day.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I see the doctor who is supervising my weight loss program, which is expected to take approximately 18 months, every four weeks. We set a goal of how many pounds we think I can reasonably lose during that period, and every day, I think about that goal and make sure my actions support it as much as possible - "Do I order the grilled chicken sandwich or the fried? Do I keep watching this Portlandia episode for the hundredth time or do I go for a walk?"

It's a matter of taking the long-term goal and breaking it into short term goals (like my monthly goals), then applying the specific actions that will lead to their accomplishment. Sounds simple enough.

However, there is a virtual ocean of conscious and subconscious forces brought to bear upon the minds of us who propose to lose excess pounds; so many and varied are they that there's no way to even begin to cover them all here.

But I think probably one of the strongest factors is simply this: we must have faith that we will succeed. Depression, previous defeats, and a lack of self-confidence can interfere with our ability to believe that we will, in fact, lose the extra pounds. This can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, causing us to give up yet again. So we have to nurture our feelings of self-confidence and do whatever we can to encourage ourselves to keep believing in the process and continue pressing forward.

Something I do in this regard - I put little notes to myself around the house, like "Hey, Annie - guess what? We are doing it this time. It's happening. Thank you for working hard. I love you. I believe in you. Me."

May sound cheesy at the very least and looney at worst, but it helps, along with a number of other psychological strategies I employ to keep the train on track and rolling.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes- it helps to have a support system like friends here on myfitnesspal, plus motivational content that inspires you- but in addition to motivation you need to have:

•clear goals
    •a reason behind those goals (often referred to as your "why")
    •a plan of action
    •the discipline, dedication, and determination to execute your plan (no matter if you feel motivated or not)

That way at least on the days (or weeks... or months) when you don't feel motivated you can still stay on track. If you make a plan and then make sure to stick to it because of your desire to reach your goals - and because it's something you've decided to do - then you will have more success than if you try to rely on motivation alone. I like to think of it like this: motivation gets you started, dedication keeps you going.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Part of mine is this dress sitting in my cupboard: jerryskate.com/Products/Women-Girl/ProductFocus/251-dress.html

It is in my size, and this year I will compete the program I intend it for, but I would love to look better in it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Motivation, argh. Like you should need an outside incentive to live a good life. Losing weight if you are overweight will improve your life, and it doesn't have to be hard. Eat food you like, but in appropriate portions. Move as much as you want to. Get a nice structure to your day that gives food and exercise, work and play, sleep and rest their proper place. Get a nice set of attitudes where you do what you want, but responsibly, where you are the master of your own decisions, where your need determines your actions, where you appreciate what you have without envying others, where you strive to be better, but not perfect.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Part of mine is this dress sitting in my cupboard: jerryskate.com/Products/Women-Girl/ProductFocus/251-dress.html

It is in my size, and this year I will compete the program I intend it for, but I would love to look better in it.

I've got a killer black leather jacket waiting for me in my closet. I need to lose another 5kg to rock it... I'm guessing I'll be good to go in Autumn :smile:
  • slinkyreptile
    slinkyreptile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I take a mental note of how I feel after I eat certain foods or when I finish a workout for example. If I start making excuses not to workout then force myself to... next time I don't want to work out I remember how amazing it felt and that's always enough to push me to keep going. Eventually it becomes normality and you question why you didn't start sooner!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Habit.

This.

I made it a habit to log my food and hit my calorie goal. Once I had that down, I made it a habit to work out at least once a week. Then I made it a habit to eat more protein, and so on and so forth.

Every time I have one more habit down pat, I pick another one. I always make sure they are concrete with measurable goals.

I agree with both. What keeps me motivated is knowing how good I feel and how bad I used to feel. I never went into this as going on a diet, but more as changing my life, which is exactly what i have done. I still eat mostly what I want, but I also make sure I really want something before I eat it. I don't really worry about binge eating because I know that I will be able to eat a piece of cake or a piece of candy if I want it and still lose weight.
    If I do use a holiday as an excuse to over indulge I know that I will go right back to eating the way I want to eat in order to keep losing weight and stay healthy.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I found a lifestyle that I love that includes being active, eating well, and not drinking that I absolutely love and so my motivation is that I WANT to do it. It's a really great feeling.
  • Julee84
    Julee84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, this was my first ever thread and didn't know I got any comments. I fixed my settings now. Thanks so much for all the comments, It really is helpful!!