What's the best time frame to work out?

Options
I've been working out 5 days a week after work and I love it. I'm mentally exhausted, but because I sit down all day because of my job, my body is hungry for the exercise. Not sure if I should flip the time to during the mornings for benefits that I'm unaware of. I like to sleep in until the very last second and I HATE having to get up for any reason if I don't have to. The only reason why I manage to stay motivated to go to work everyday is because I obviously have bills. I usually work out between 8-10 pm. In the mornings I could work out between 6:30-7:45 am. The only issue is that while I'm working on intermittent fasting, this may send my hunger into overdrive too early while I attempt to stick with eating past noon. I've lost a little over 5 lbs with the method I'm on now (I'm aware that it could all just be water weight), so I don't know if I should switch to the mornings. I'm content with evening workouts- just a little afraid I may have a heart attack in my sleep if I call it a night right afterward! Should I stick with what I'm doing? Thanks!

Replies

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I would personally prefer working out in the mornings instead of evening as if you workout around 10 pm, you won't be able to sleep as your stress levels will be high after a workout.

Actually morning workouts are great, would be a nice way to feel alert for the day. I can't really comment on fasting as I mean, if it doesn't work with your schedule & work, why bother? Might as well have a diet that fits "your" schedule.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    You're over thinking this. The best time to work out is the time that best fits into your schedule. You've found a time that works, you enjoy working out at that time, and it doesn't add any complications to your IF schedule. So keep doing that. :)
  • aubxspice
    aubxspice Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm able to work out during the day over the weekends, and I love the feeling of being refreshed throughout the time I'm awake. But god, I don't know if I can do that for the weekdays. I'll try it sometime this week and see if I can handle it, and if it keeps me awake at work. I sit at a computer all day and I want to fall asleep by 3. The real problem is that I go to bed late and I'm not getting enough rest. I'll put this on my checklist to accomplish and see what happens. Thank you!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    aubxspice wrote: »
    I usually work out between 8-10 pm .... I'm content with evening workouts- just a little afraid I may have a heart attack in my sleep if I call it a night right afterward! Should I stick with what I'm doing? Thanks!

Stick with what you're doing. :)

For years, during the winters, I'd hop on the trainer at about 10 pm and ride for an hour or an hour and a half, then do a short weights workout, then turn the lights down and do yoga for about half an hour, and then go to bed.

I slept like a log. Deep, deep sleeps. :)

• Jaymie
    Jaymie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I run every morning, have been for many years now. The endorphins give me a nice hit to start my day. Plus if I do it first thing in the morning I don't have time to proscrastinate. It really is a personal choice. If it doesn't affect your sleep doing it at night then there is no problem. Whatever works for you the key is you are doing something - better than nothing
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I think the best time to work out is when it works for you. Both within your timetable and your wishlist.
    For me it is some in the morning some in the evening. It simply fits my schedule best and more than anything that makes that I enjoy it and work hard at it.
    It really is a personal choice, nothing more
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    I would personally prefer working out in the mornings instead of evening as if you workout around 10 pm, you won't be able to sleep as your stress levels will be high after a workout.

Actually morning workouts are great, would be a nice way to feel alert for the day. I can't really comment on fasting as I mean, if it doesn't work with your schedule & work, why bother? Might as well have a diet that fits "your" schedule.

The bold is just completely wrong. Considering the OP doesn't like to get up earlier than necessary and is currently enjoying and thriving on her workouts, keeping with night time workouts would be ideal. I frequently workout out at night, come home shower and go right to bed.

OP, stick with what you are doing. Forcing yourself to get up earlier than you would like, would probably hurt your workouts and make you more tired throughout the day.