Tablespoons and ml

Confused here !
I have measuring spoons that have mls mentioned too, So 1 Tablespoon says its 15 ml. In MFP 1 Tablespoon of honey has 45 calories and if i add ml its 2400 calories, Like Oh My Gosh how is that even possible???? should i be adding Tablespoons or mls ?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,954 Member
    Sounds like you've found a bad entry.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I weigh my honey. The brand I buy is 21g/TBSP.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Sounds like you've found a bad entry.

Or wrong number entries...(like 15 x 100ml,not 15 x 1ml)

I also weigh honey....
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2017
    The green check "verified" item for honey has an error in the 1(ml) serving size. The other serving size options in that food item seem to be correct. Choose the serving size where it spells out the word milliliter.

Only MFP staff can edit "verified" foods. You could email MFP to request a correction. I used to submit corrections to MFP to edit verified items; I don't bother anymore.
  • Amber_7556
    Amber_7556 Posts: 29 Member
    ok , i will check other entries as well i just tend to trust the green checked ones because i thought they are confirmed. one tsp or tbsp is such a small amount i never felt the need to weigh it, i do have a scale but its not the one that run on batteries.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Lol! I had that happen to me today. I was making a recipe and then I noticed it was like a zillion calories - one of the entries I used was bad. Definitely happens sometimes.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    masoompna wrote: »
    ok , i will check other entries as well i just tend to trust the green checked ones because i thought they are confirmed. one tsp or tbsp is such a small amount i never felt the need to weigh it, i do have a scale but its not the one that run on batteries.

The green checks are pretty much useless. I get as many wrong entries with them as without. All it means is that enough people marked it correct. At the end of the day, it really means nothing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Grams.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    You are better to use ml or grams because tablespoon measures are different in different countries (20ml in Aust, 15ml in US and a bunch of other numbers too in other places).
    The same goes for cups too.
  • Amber_7556

The green checks are pretty much useless. I get as many wrong entries with them as without. All it means is that enough people marked it correct. At the end of the day, it really means nothing.

Then how are we supposed to know whats right and whats not? Not everything is packaged that can come with a calorie count for us to compare, are we supposed to look on different websites and compare ? its too much work already to actually look for every single thing we put in our mouth. How can all this be done. -_-

• Machka9
    edited February 2017

Then how are we supposed to know whats right and whats not? Not everything is packaged that can come with a calorie count for us to compare, are we supposed to look on different websites and compare ? its too much work already to actually look for every single thing we put in our mouth. How can all this be done. -_-

I've got a reasonable idea how many calories are in things and if it doesn't look right, I double-check here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

You're talking about honey ... that's a pretty standard item and most honey you buy will have the calories per gram on the side of the container.

I have two containers of honey and both are about 1400 kj per 100 grams.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member

To me, it's second nature to check every single entry for every single food/drink I put in my mouth - I want results, and I'm prepared to put in whatever it takes to get them. I eat meals made of similar ingredients regularly, so it's not that hard once youve been logging a while.
  • Machka9
    Right ... for example, I eat honey on toast every couple days, so honey is always on my recent food list. I don't have to look it up each time ... it's there, and I'm reasonably confident that it is correct based on the information on two different containers of honey in my cupboard.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017

Verify foods with labels against the label. Verify foods without labels against the USDA database.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

The checkmark system was a nice idea, but the MFP database is still user generated and there's nobody at MFP whose job it is to make sure users are entering or verifying correct into.
  • Amber_7556

Verify foods with labels against the label. Verify foods without labels against the USDA database.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

The checkmark system was a nice idea, but the MFP database is still user generated and there's nobody at MFP whose job it is to make sure users are entering or verifying correct into. [/quote]

I have seen USDA entries on MFP as well, are those accurate ? Or those are also user generated ?
  • Amber_7556
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've got a reasonable idea how many calories are in things and if it doesn't look right, I double-check here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

You're talking about honey ... that's a pretty standard item and most honey you buy will have the calories per gram on the side of the container.

Thank you, i saved that link i will compare, Its not literally about honey, It was mainly about the calorie count as my Tablespoon was 15ml and the calories in 15 ml were 2400 lol, But i figured it was a bad entry , at my first month of it , So i am all over the place . Thank you for your help and insight .

• Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thank you, i saved that link i will compare, Its not literally about honey, It was mainly about the calorie count as my Tablespoon was 15ml and the calories in 15 ml were 2400 lol, But i figured it was a bad entry , at my first month of it , So i am all over the place . Thank you for your help and insight .

No problem. :)

I read labels, and have done for years, and also double-check with that site I linked above.

Take the time now and then to have a thorough browse of your grocery stores and markets. Look at the food which appeals to you and read the labels. Check the calories in the per 100 grams column and compare it with what they say is a serving size. It can be quite interesting!

3 or 4 women were doing that in the grocery store I popped into at lunchtime. :)

I've actually found food that fits within my calorie limit which I wasn't really aware of before that way. And I discovered that an inexpensive frozen dinner I like is actually fewer calories than Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers meals. That was a nice discovery!