Tea raises metabolism?

Options
Is true that tea raises metabolism? If so what kinds of specific teas (brands) help?

Replies

• thegreenone
    Options
    Green teas are high in antioxidants... can't hurt to try and find out! Make sure they are natural and not synthetic though (and of course no added sugar etc.)
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Green teas boost metabolism.

Diuretic teas help with digestion, irregularity, and cleaning (like dandelion tea - I try to have one a day!)
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    For the past 2 weeks I have been drinking a cup of hot green tea about 15-30 minutes before my walk and I feel a difference in my energy level. Plus its good for you so a double bonus!
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes it's true. I put it in my yogurt...Matcha Green Tea. I purchase mine from Teavana.com. Imperial Grade Matcha Green Tea in powder form.

Hope this helps!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It is true, and I drink decaf green tea (yes decaf works too, possibly better imho), but you'd probably burn more Calories doing twenty jumping jacks a day the effect is so small. Over a year however, it might make a 1-2lbs. difference.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid disease and cannot do anything that will synthetically alter my metabolism. When I read an article about this several years ago, I consulted my doctor because I like some iced green tea once in a while. He chuckled and told me to drink all the green tea I wanted. I'm going to guess that means it doesn't really do anything for your metabolism.

But it is full of great antioxidants, so it has its benefits.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it has to do with the caffeine in green, black, and white teas. Coffee would be similar, but it comes at a hefty physiological price. Tea has numerous health benefits. For three years I drank only water and teas (green, black, fruit, mint, ginger, white, and often an intermixing of these) and never got sick.
    Basically, I went from drinking sodas and water and getting the flu and strep throat every year to drinking herbal teas and never getting sick. But I drank it to sate my appetite and warm me up in the winter, so the health benefits were merely a welcome side-effect!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. It has so many benefits. It helps curb asthma problems, full of antioxidants, good nutrients and it does help your metabolism even if the effect is small it adds up. It has also been proven to reduce your risk of every type of cancer unless you drink it too hot or more than 3 cups a day. Moderation and all that.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    There was a piece in the latest issue of Oxygen mag on tea (black, green, and white!) about the benefits. Taken from that article, paraphrased: it can increase the number of cals you burn by approximately 3% over 24 hours, and some of those cals might come from stored fat. Regular tea consumption is linked to higher bone mineral density, reducing risk of fractures as you age. It also exhibits anti-inflammatory effects, which may help damaged tissue heal more quickly. And a caffeine-containing tea before a workout can give you extra energy. (Which can mean working out harder/longer.)

Bottled tea (like you would purchase at the store) does NOT have the same properties.

Not from that article, but from elsewhere, the combination of theanine and caffeine work together to produce a state of balanced "calm/alert" which is helpful for mindfulness/awareness in mind/body fitness.
  • timtamslam
    timtamslam Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've heard loads of different things about green tea and its benefits, so it can't really hurt to try I suppose lol :D
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    not sure if it raises metabolism... but it certainly does something.

I have been drinking Organic Gen Maicha for the past 2 weeks ( trying to cut down on coffee, lol!). It appears that my stomach is getting flatter, without any additional exercize or changes. Plus it does seems to help increase my energy.
  • CamMac5150
    CamMac5150 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have read/heard all kinds of benefits about drinking green tea so I decided to try it. I can tell you from experience that it helps greatly. I drink a cup of organic green tea everyday just before my walk/run, and one in the evening. I can notice a huge difference from when I was walking/running without drinking the green tea. That was the only change I made. I read somewhere that drinking it just before a workout will increase the amount of fat related calories burned (Dr. Oz I believe). Anyways, it definitely does help with weight loss, not to mention all the other benefits from it.
  • lbfrueh
    lbfrueh Posts: 87
    Options
    Bump