Calorie burn seems high

Options
I've recently started using the Garmin Vivosmart HR to encourage me to use the stairs etc.

I've always had iPhone steps turned on using MFP, but the calorie burn estimate seems higher than normal on the Garmin.

It says I've walked 2301 steps and burned 149 calories. That seems like a lot of burn for just 2301 steps.

Is this even somewhat accurate, or do I need to disconnect my Garmin and stick to iPhone steps?

Replies

• ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivosmart HR+ and I love it! What I've noticed with it though it that the first couple thousand steps of the day seem worth more calories than later steps - it balances itself out by the end of the day. I'm guessing that you plugged in all your stats on the app? I would keep trying it for another few days - it takes a week or two for it to really calibrate to you. Mine was pretty all over the place at first. I absolutely love mine though and it seems pretty accurate - my workouts seem to track pretty consistently with what they should be for calorie burns for my size and activity level.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There are too many unknowns for anyone to guess whether this is accurate or not. We don't know what you weigh. We don't know how briskly you walked. We don't know how long your stride is. I assume Apple is using the average 0.044 calories per step and Garmin is using something else. Given that Garmin is in the business of selling GPS based devices and Apple is in the business of selling communications devices, I tend to trust Garmin over Apple, but whether they are accurate for you is a different story.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Garmin just puts your active calories, aside from any recorded exercise, to those steps...so it's any calories burned above your resting calories to adjust to the MFP calories. If you have negative calories turned on this will sometimes have a step count and a negative number too.

I would just look at your resting burn. Mine seems high compared to other calculators and looking at all my data my total burn seems to be about 10% too high.
  • kerriprince92
    kerriprince92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are too many unknowns for anyone to guess whether this is accurate or not. We don't know what you weigh. We don't know how briskly you walked. We don't know how long your stride is. I assume Apple is using the average 0.044 calories per step and Garmin is using something else. Given that Garmin is in the business of selling GPS based devices and Apple is in the business of selling communications devices, I tend to trust Garmin over Apple, but whether they are accurate for you is a different story.

5'2 and 75kg

Fairly quick but I'm in heels so not at all that quick!

It just stood out that it seemed high - but I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for your replies.