Knees Hurt After Running. What to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my knees. My solution. Stop running as you could be doing yourself more harm by continuing. See a physio who can work on muscles around the knee to build up strength, while giving you appropriate exercises. We could recommend exercises but because we don't know the exact problem we could be encouraging you with something thst could do more harm. In the meantime swim as this will help with fitness while taking pressure off of your knee.

Everyone is different but I know I can never run again, nor walk up and down steep slopes. It has been hard knowing I have to give something up but with a knee replacement as an alternative I know which I prefer.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    xxkmanxx wrote: »
    So I started the new year off right. I started running on the treadmill a lot. I was running about 3-5 miles a day. I was out of shape, so before this I wasn't exercising at all. Last week I ran every day and at least 3 miles a day. Now this week my knees have been huring so much. Did I just over do it, because before this I didn't really exercise. I feel it through out the day. Expecially when walking up stairs. Yesterday I went on the treadmill and jogged or walked fast as I could for 2 miles. I want to keep goin but it hurts. I was running in bad shoes. I just bought good running shoes. So I would like to know what do you guys think I should do. I can power through this and just keep jogging and walking fast on the treadmill. I could also start trying to run outside (no idea if thats better on my knees). Or I can take a break from running and start doing like an upper body work out. A lot of warm ups include knees tho. Like even jumping up and down hurt. So any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I got bad knees from running and now I just powerwalk or brisk walk outside instead and my knees got better. I tried to run a bit the other day and they hurt for days after so I will not try again.
  • xxkmanxx
    xxkmanxx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks everyone for the help. I took a week off running. I ordered a foam roller and got new shoes. I also found some good exercises and stretches for runners knee. Hopfully all this will help. Thanks everyone for the help. Its frustrating when ur trying to be healthy and start exercising and this happens. Hopefully I can start running to my full potential. I know it'll take some time.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    Buy patella straps and ware them all day long. When u feel better, u can ware them only during workouts. Stop running, jogging and sideskipping. Instead try moves to strengthen muscles supporting this patella tendons: quads, hamstrings, abdutors, adductors and calves. There are number of assisted movements for all four sides of your legs. For cardio u can do cycling, rowing or eleptical.
    Running outside will be even worth than TM.
    This is very popular knee problem, and thousand people had it (normally runners, jumpers, tennisplayers). If u seen on TV many basketball players or soccer players ware small patella straps usualy tan color.
    Sorry, takes about 4-5 months for tendons repare. This is normal time frame. Much better avoid them. In meantime train more your upper body, abs, back.

IMO, don't put random straps/braces, etc on an injured body part unless you know the cause of the problem. Check with a medical professional and follow their advice regarding straps/braces.

Agree with the rest, too much too soon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Wish people wouldn't attempt to diagnose specific injuries for a stranger on the internet.
    Let alone suggest treatments for injuries they don't actually know exist.

I used to volunteer as a guinea pig for trainee orthopaedic doctors which involved them diagnosing one of my particular knee injuries and explaining their diagnosis and treatment plan in the presence of their tutors - 2 out of 4 got it wrong.
    Some of them even got the wrong knee! :)
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also... check your sneakers. Although simply going too fast too soon will cause knee problems, a very common problem is shoes that aren't up to the task. If you have good quality (not necessarily fashion brand) running sneakers that are relatively new you are probably in good shape. But a common problem is someone starting a running program with flimsy or worn out sneakers which ends up causing a lot of impact on the knees.
  • blueiii31062
    blueiii31062 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Listen to the advice of everyone here who said to go see a doctor.

I experienced something similar 5 years ago and tried all kinds of self-fix it solutions. Finally went to see an orthopedist who took x-rays and diagnosed some pretty serious osteoarthritis, especially in my right knee. Long story short, I had to quit any sort of exercise that impacted my knees for 6 months. My ignoring the condition really made it much worse. Guess who doesn't (can't) run anymore?

• mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I can't believe with all this advise no one mentioned landing more-so towards the front of your foot. I had knee problems when I was striking the ground with my heal. It went away when I began striking the ground more towards the front of my foot. Now, my calves just get really sore.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Also... check your sneakers. Although simply going too fast too soon will cause knee problems, a very common problem is shoes that aren't up to the task. If you have good quality (not necessarily fashion brand) running sneakers that are relatively new you are probably in good shape. But a common problem is someone starting a running program with flimsy or worn out sneakers which ends up causing a lot of impact on the knees.

Just because shoes are new doesn't mean they are correct for a person's foot/gait. There needs to be a matching of the shoe to the running form.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Just because shoes are new doesn't mean they are correct for a person's foot/gait. There needs to be a matching of the shoe to the running form.

That's an excellent point and I should've mentioned that, thank you. And ideally it should be from a store that has salespeople who know how to determine the right shoe from you. "Foot Locker" at the mall (or similiar) likely do not have this sort of expertise...although once in a while a person is lucky.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That's an excellent point and I should've mentioned that, thank you. And ideally it should be from a store that has salespeople who know how to determine the right shoe from you. "Foot Locker" at the mall (or similiar) likely do not have this sort of expertise...although once in a while a person is lucky.

For the OP, see if there is a running club in your area and find out where the members get their shoes.