Soda / Diet soda / Alternatives

Options
My diet no longer allows for sugar soda because there are so many calories. What do you think about drinking diet soda or alternatives to soda like crystal light mix drinks or diet Gatorade? Are they really "Free" of calories?

Will the processed sweeteners hurt my diet or nutrition in other ways?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I drink up to two 2 liters of Dt Dr Pepper per day. I've lost 30lbs so far.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I drink some diet pop, and I also took up brewing water kefir. It's low sugar, fizzy, and probiotic. I really like it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sodas. I actually prefer it now. If I drink a regular soda I find it's much too sweet now. It used to be I thought diet soda had an aftertaste. Really, it was just that I was used to the sweetness of regular soda.
  • HvymetalMG
    HvymetalMG Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drink seltzer
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with them. Some people prefer to avoid the artificial sweeteners, colors, and sodium that can come with them, but in most cases, those things in reasonable quantities won't matter much. They certainly won't impact your weight loss. As for nutrition, look at your overall diet to determine nutrition, not a single food/item.

Personally, I drink a fair bit of diet soda and a lot of various water "enhancers". No issues here.

• lehach1
    lehach1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's not just the sugar content of soda that's detrimental to your health, it's the sodium content and artificial sweeteners too. Even diet soda is sabotaging your weight loss and your overall health. Also consider the carbonation keeps your belly bloated and stomach stretched. What you're REALLY craving when you drink soda is the sweetness. So if you absolutely cannot do without it, I suggest going to Crystal Light water supplement or some of the other water supplements. Plain water can get boring so I completely understand. Just keep an eye on the calories and avoid using it with every drop you drink. (75 lbs. lost here and consume one full calorie soda every once in a while...I don't really miss it).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or plain hate the taste, artificial sweeteners (or non-artificial) shouldn't hamper weight loss. It took me a long time to find something low-no calorie that I could stand drinking once/twice a day. I went with diet soda pop, mostly because I drank soda pop before and the carbonation helped me not "feel" hungry. I tried out a few well-stocked brands, liked most of them, and drink 2 servings a day.

Just log them if they have calories (or other macros/micros you want to track).
  • bossyblackdog
    bossyblackdog Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi have a bit a diet pop addiction - given to me by my mother haha. I can't stand the taste of regular. I don't buy into the artificial colours/sweetners hysteria b.s. I practically want to slap people that try to tell me that aspartame does terrible things to your body (reality - extensive testing has not been able to link aspartame to ANYTHING in the amounts normally consumed by regular diet pop drinkers). I do find that drinking diet pop seems to make me retain water. I don't know if it is limited to diet or regular would do the same, but I know its only water. For the same reason though I have been trying to cut back on it just because I get frustrated with water weight gains.

If it helps keep you off of regular pop, then I say do it!
  • bossyblackdog
    Options
    On another note - I just looking back up at the other replies I noticed annacole and I are the only ones calling it pop, everybody else is saying soda. Then I have a quick glance at her profile and see she is also Canadian lol - must be a Canadian thing! My husband says "soda" and I always wondered where in the heck he got it from... he was the only person I have ever met that did so!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    One 12oz can of Dt Dr Pepper has 55mg of sodium. I don't see the concern.
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I prefer Nestle Splash waters - they come in lemon, orange and acai grape. They don't even taste artificial. Otherwise I drink water and chilled spearmint tea with a little splenda.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently wrong with them. Some people prefer to avoid the artificial sweeteners, colors, and sodium that can come with them, but in most cases, those things in reasonable quantities won't matter much. They certainly won't impact your weight loss. As for nutrition, look at your overall diet to determine nutrition, not a single food/item.

Personally, I drink a fair bit of diet soda and a lot of various water "enhancers". No issues here.
    lehach1 wrote: »
    It's not just the sugar content of soda that's detrimental to your health, it's the sodium content and artificial sweeteners too. Even diet soda is sabotaging your weight loss and your overall health. Also consider the carbonation keeps your belly bloated and stomach stretched. What you're REALLY craving when you drink soda is the sweetness. So if you absolutely cannot do without it, I suggest going to Crystal Light water supplement or some of the other water supplements. Plain water can get boring so I completely understand. Just keep an eye on the calories and avoid using it with every drop you drink. (75 lbs. lost here and consume one full calorie soda every once in a while...I don't really miss it).

Have you ever actually looked at the nutrition information on a can of pop? They have almost the same amount of sodium as water, and in some cases less. It definitely has less than the milk I have with my breakfast.

Yep, like I said in my post... in reasonable quantities, it won't matter.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options

Have you ever actually looked at the nutrition information on a can of pop? They have almost the same amount of sodium as water, and in some cases less. It definitely has less than the milk I have with my breakfast.

I just find it odd that sodium is constantly pointed out as a negative with them and in many cases water has more. Basically they are flavored water, so I agree with you that it is not an issue unless a person has an actual issue with it, in which case it is like anything that a person has a sensitivity to or allergy to, they should avoid it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

There is nothing harmful about artificial sweeteners. They do not sabotage weight loss or health (in fact, they can make it easier to stick to a calorie deficit). Bloating from carbonation results in nothing any more harmful than burping it back out.
    Also, there's about as much sodium in diet soda as there is in tap water.

When will all these myths die??
  • bossyblackdog
    edited February 2017
    Options

I just find it odd that sodium is constantly pointed out as a negative with them and in many cases water has more. Basically they are flavored water, so I agree with you that it is not an issue unless a person has an actual issue with it, in which case it is like anything that a person has a sensitivity to or allergy to, they should avoid it.

I completely agree with this - but I do wonder why I seem to retain water with them. Could it be that they are carbonated? I think caffeine is a diuretic so that shouldn't be it. It is also completely possible the it is all in my head... maybe it just happened a couple times for unrelated reasons and now I associate it with diet pop...
  • jjpptt2
    Options

I assume it's because most people don't actually know what they are consuming... they just know the stigma that surrounds those things. Stigmas often created by media, advertisers, etc rather than perspective, common sense, or truth/fact.