Why have I gained 4 lbs?

Options
I am down a deficit for this week that should be 2-3 lbs of loss and instead I am up 4. I did exercise 6 days burning between 5-780 calories each time. Could I be eating too little if I still only consume 1300-1400 calories on those days? Diet is great, salt consumption is under. ?

Replies

• kittlezkatz
    kittlezkatz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not hormone related, I rule that out.

I am on day 3 of being up the 4 lbs. If it was one day and had gone back down by now I would not be as frustrated. This is my first day without exercise, I might take another day off tomorrow too.

The calorie intake I have is based on trying to go down 2lbs a week, but with the exercise and only eating the same amount of 13-1400, I'm worried I'm not eating enough or exercising too much.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes 2 weeks for an extra weight to be gone for me. 3 days is nothing.
  • Seffell
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Can I ask why you know it's not hormone related? Because I'm bloated for basically a whole week before my period and my weight always goes up for that week.

Same
  • kittlezkatz
    Options
    Can I ask why you know it's not hormone related? Because I'm bloated for basically a whole week before my period and my weight always goes up for that week.

I'm two weeks out. I know I go up a few the week before, always.

• subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Well I mean there can be great many reasons, few that comes to mind directly:
    • It might be simple water retention, weight fluctuates daily, I can gain over 5 lb's depending on the time of the day, my carb & sodium intake etc.
    • You did not weigh your food correctly.
    As for exercising too much, the best answer is your bodies response to it.
    If you feel too stressed to even sleep, or feel like you can't do simple physical activities without feeling down, well thats a message your body is giving. Its hard to really "over work" your body though. People underestimate their potential often. I would eat a little more during workout days though. However I doubt under eating is the reason why you would gain weight either. I am sure its just simple water retention.
  • Onub
    Onub Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a change in your macronutrient intake from one day to the next? If you ate significantly more carbs the day before than you did on the previous days your body will hold more water. Water retention from glucose and sodium tends to be the biggest flucuations of weight. Either way, as long as you consistently stay in a deficit isn't nothing much to worry about. After all, it's just one metric of progress. Try adding in body measurements and track those over time. Just keep reminding yourself that there is no way you've gain 4 lbs of fat in one day. That's be an overconsumption of 14000 Calories! haha. Keep on tracking.
  • Seffell
    Options

I'm two weeks out. I know I go up a few the week before, always.

Ok then let's put it another way. If you are certain you weighed your food correctly then there is nothing to worry about. The extra weight will eventually be gone. I assure you, there is no magic here. As to WHY it is not gone yet - well who knows. We certainly don't. :) Don't worry, be happy.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? If not, you are probably not eating as little as you think you are. With the amount of exercise you are doing your deficit should be big enough to lose. That said, 2-3 pounds per week is not the best amount to try to lose. MFP recommends 2 pounds max. How much do you have to lose? Also, if you provide your stats and open your diary people can give you more helpful advice.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    What you eat matters a lot.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    What you eat matters a lot.

Nope. What you eat has no direct effect on how much fat you gain or lose. It's all about how much you eat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Not hormone related, I rule that out.

I am on day 3 of being up the 4 lbs. If it was one day and had gone back down by now I would not be as frustrated. This is my first day without exercise, I might take another day off tomorrow too.

The calorie intake I have is based on trying to go down 2lbs a week, but with the exercise and only eating the same amount of 13-1400, I'm worried I'm not eating enough or exercising too much.

So side point to main discussion.

Use the program correctly.

That 1300-1400 was based on YOUR selection of non-exercise activity days - and probably like most - underestimated too.

And then your deficit is taken to cause your desired weight loss.

You do more than planned (like exercise) - you eat more. Same deficit is in place as before.

Except your body now has something to work with for the extra energy expenditure, and if a good workout (eating that little) - perhaps making it stronger during recovery (if you are resting for it).

Feed your workouts if you want the max from them.

And why waste time on them frankly if not getting the most from them.

That would be like wanting to take a walk to de-stress from the day's activities and worries - and then spend the time on work email and crazy inlaw drama while walking - getting all stressed out!
  • kittlezkatz
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I have lost over 90lbs so far, it has taken years and I have had a number of setbacks here and there. For the past year or so I have maintained.

When I have tried to drop weight before, I have eaten the same calorie intake and exercised at the same intensity I am now and had no problem dropping weight. When I would plateau a couple days, I would eat a normal days worth of calories and within a couple days would be back on track. For whatever reason, the formula that has worked in the past very well for me is not quite working now. I am back down 2lbs this morning, which is promising, but I need to stay off the scale for a while and focus on logging. It's too frustrating because I am feeling better and know I am doing more things correct for weight loss than wrong, it just needs tweaked.

I have not looked at exercise as a way to eat more, but I am going to change that this week and see how my body responds. I do weigh my food, I cook the majority of what I eat so I know what all goes into it. (Loving "Stir Frying To The Sky's Edge" cookbook, it rocks!) I'll get there, I just need to keep grinding away and see where it takes me. :smile:
  • RunsOnPlants98
    RunsOnPlants98 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is probs gross/tmi but... have you pooped? One time I lost 8 lbs because of that... so yeah...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you weigh all your food on scales and are sticking to 1300 cals, its water.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    This sounds counter-intuitive, but you could try eating at maintenance (or a little over) for a day or two. This can induce a "whoosh" where you lose the water weight you might be storing from eating at a deficit and exercising a lot. Google "dieter's edema". This trick has worked for me a few times. It just means you could have water weight gain that is masking your fat loss.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find my weight goes up and down on a day to day basis sometime staying high for a few days before dropping down again then rising again. Like a wave but the trend is downwards.

I just like to think of it as my body just getting use to its new weight in a "oh we going down to that weight now I thought we were staying here a while, OK I'll get that sorted out for you then" - like giving it a series of little wake up calls. No science in that, just the way I rationalise it :)