MFP and pregnancy

Options
So is there anything on here that can help me to figure out how many calories I should eat a day so I don't go overboard the next 36 weeks? lol I tried to see if there was anything under the settings tab, but I had no luck

Replies

• sallycheese
    sallycheese Posts: 33
    Options
    congratulations, i have been wondering the same thing as hubby and i are trying again after a miscarriage, i don't want to pile all that i lose straight back on
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You are very smart for wanting to eat right during your pregnancy.... I gained alot of weight and its so hard to lose. Congrats and good luck.
  • mbofinger
    mbofinger Posts: 7
    Options
    My husband & I will be trying soon, so I was wondering the same thing because I gained 50 lbs with one pregnancy & 70 with the other & DON'T want to do that again. So, I just heard today, and checking it out for myself, that if you go in your food diary & say for breakfast type Pregnancy into the database you will find "Eating for Pregnancy - Extra Calories for Pregnancy" and then it adds for 1 day of eating and it deducts 300 calories from what you have already consumed - so you get 300 extra calories/day. I know that I am responding to this thread way late, but in case you still are interested, I wanted to let you know! Good Luck & Congratulations! :)
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    You should be eating an extra 300 or so calories. I do believe that some ladies log it under breast feeding but I am not sure how that one works.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Do you need to eat 300 extra calories per day this soon into a pregnancy or should it be closer to the 2nd and 3rd trimesters? I just found out i'm about 4 1/2 weeks and I don't feel like I should be eating 300 extra calories this soon in the game. Am I wrong?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do you need to eat 300 extra calories per day this soon into a pregnancy or should it be closer to the 2nd and 3rd trimesters? I just found out i'm about 4 1/2 weeks and I don't feel like I should be eating 300 extra calories this soon in the game. Am I wrong?

We just had a baby less than 9 months ago and I beleive you are correct in that you need the extra cals in your 2nd trimester, (according to our doctor) that being said you probably don't want to be in a caloric deficit even in the first trimester.

Congrats on the news
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    There are new recommendations from the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE):
    * Dieting during pregnancy is not recommended as it may harm the health of the child.
    * There is no need to ‘eat for two’ or drink full-fat milk (as opposed to lower-fat milk). Energy needs do not change in the first six months of pregnancy. Only in the last three months do a woman’s energy needs increase by around 200 calories per day.
    * Moderate-intensity physical activity will not harm the mother or baby. At least 30 minutes per day of moderate intensity activity is recommended. This can include activities such as swimming or brisk walking. If women have not exercised routinely up to that point, they should begin with no more than three 15-minute sessions a week, increasing gradually to daily 30-minute sessions.
    * There are no formal evidence-based guidelines from the UK Government or professional bodies on what constitutes appropriate weight gain during pregnancy.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah, I changed my calorie intake up to 1500, which is maintenance for me. MFP says 1670 is maintenance, but I'm sure that's too high. Anyways, I'm sure I'll be eating a little more than that anyways. haha
    Congrats to you as well for your baby! (9 months later. haha)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here's the other advice I'd seen recently:

Experts advise women with a healthy BMI ­– 18.5 to 24.9 – to gain between 25 and 35 pounds. If you're overweight, it's recommended that you gain between 15 and 25 pounds by the end of your pregnancy, at a rate of approximately 2 to 3 pounds a month, mostly in your second and third trimesters. Women who are obese are advised to gain only 11 to 20 pounds during pregnancy.