Weight loss is sooooo slow

Options
Hey everyone! I have been serious about weight lost for the last 5 weeks. Working out 3-5 times a week (burning about 450 calories each workout) and eating 1,200 calories each day. So far I lost just under 4 lbs. I don't want to get discouraged but I was hoping for at least 2 lbs a week. I eat all clean calories, lost of veg, protein, fiber, low sugar, all that good stuff, drink all my water, no alcohol or soda or anything g but water. I gained 40 lbs in 2 years and now it seems almost impossible to take them off. I feel I am working so hard and the results are minimal. What else can I do to kick start my metabolism? I am a female, 39, 5.5, 166 lbs, I used to be 125! Went to nutritionist on Friday, she said I am doing everything right. Do I just need to be patient? Any help, I will really appreciate it!! Thanks!!

Replies

• jms1902
    jms1902 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better-- I feel the same exact way! I have been doing the same as you and have lost about 5 pounds in the same time frame. I try to keep focusing on how good it feels to be in control, doing what is best for my body, and how my clothes feel. Sending you good vibes! Stay the course!
  • highlightshadow
    highlightshadow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I think 1lb a week for someone that's not got a huge amount to lose is expected .... plus with the working out are you actually getting smaller but fitter - therefore not losing weight but size / bodyshape..... do you feel your clothes fitting better?

Not necessarily all in the numbers
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have found that now that I don't have as much to lose my loss is slower. Some weeks it doesn't even change, like last week :( lol but I keep doing what I do as this is how I will eat (for the most part)from now on anyway.I overate for years, good food and food with empty calories. Now I try to make it count. Plus if it took 2 years to put on 40 lbs, well its going to take some time to take if back off.
  • afrsilver
    afrsilver Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yup patience is the key, weight loss is a slow process and honestly, as much as I think anyone would just want to hit their goal in a couple of days or so, it's actually better to lose the weight slow that way you won't gain it back if you maintain correctly and it has a better effect on your body I had to learn this accept this even though it was hard. Keep it up, and don't give up!
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else here has said: gaining takes time, losing takes time. You aren't overweight enough to sustain 2 lbs per week loss. More like 1 and as you get closer to goal, probably closer to 0.5. Be patient and set realistic goals. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for failure and frustration.
  • sonyaandryan
    sonyaandryan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you, everyone! I will stay the course!
  • mbanks123
    mbanks123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You're doing really well :) Just keep at it!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That isn't slow. To put it into perspective, my average weight loss has been 0.29 lb/ week over the past 3+ years. I lose slowly; you are losing at a typical pace... perhaps a bit faster than typical even.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    OP you are not the only one who feels that 30 lbs IS a lot of weight to lose. I'm stuck where you are, last low was 160 but now hovering 162 for no particular reason. Doing everything right. If MFP's "if every day were like today" was actually even REMOTELY correct, I should be 145 by now and 10 lbs from goal.

But no. It's not and I'm not.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    In fact, with not that much to lose, be prepared to drop down to .5 lb/week sooner than later. As it is, having chosen a 2 lb/week deficit, the 1200 calories MFP is giving you probably does not reflect that... it's just the lowest recommended calorie allowance for women and MFP doesn't go below that. (I am *NOT* encouraging you to go lower than that... just saying that is why you probably won't lose 2 lbs/week with your stats- nor should you.)
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    OK, thank you, everyone! I will stay the course!

Actually, what people are saying is that you should adjust course by increasing your calories slightly so that you're aiming to lose 1 lb/week. That rate of loss will be much more sustainable (and enjoyable) than the 2 lb/week you're currently aiming for. Best of luck to you! :)
  • leannehathaway1
    leannehathaway1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I could of written exactly what you did. I feel like I'm working so hard and getting no where. I keep telling myself if I keep it up I will get where I want to be. In the meantime I'm feeling great and being good to my body by eating healthy and exercising.
    Hang in there!
  • gabesmom04
    gabesmom04 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My starting numbers were very similar to yours, 41 yrs. 5'6 and 161 lbs. I have logged for 155 days and lost 28.2 lbs. It has been slow and steady, but I have stuck to the calories mfp gave me and have lost an average of 1.26 lbs per week. Also, I didn't add any extra exercise but I'm a teacher and run around all day! Good luck, you can do this!!