Shoes for lifting

Options
Okay, so I've read that it's best to wear flat soled shoes when weight lifting. I know a lot of lifters like to wear Converse. How important is it? I wear regular running shoes, but I'm wondering if I'd have a more firm support base if I switched to properly flat shoes.

Replies

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means a lifting expert, but I noticed that I definitely felt more stable and grounded when I got a pair of Converse to lift in. Running shoes are too cushiony/shifty I think, especially if you're lifting heavy with free weights.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    This really depends. Some people that suffer from ankle mobility prefer these "squat" shoes for example. They would be good for you. Apart from that, if you are doing deadlifts, I would recommend a shoe with strong soles, usually tagged as "weight-lifting" shoes. Running shoes usually have softer soles that absorb the shock from running so not really great for lifting, or your form.
    I personally use Nike Metcon's. Had them when they were on sale. Happy so far.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are just that...for running. You don't need super expensive lifting shoes, but I would definitely not squat or DL in running shoes. My lifting Chucks are over 3 years old and they're perfect for my workouts.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I use the Reebok Crossfit Nano 5.0. Love them! They have nice hard, flat soles. They are fairly lightweight, and really comfortable. I prefer them to Converse.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My form improved drastically when I switched out my cross trainers for a pair of hard, flat sole shoes. I was much more stable, and able to push off & better. One day I may invest in actual shoes that are advertised as weight lifting shoes, but for now the cheapy Converse knock offs I got from Target are doing just fine.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely use the flat soles. More stable. Like others said, if you can't afford (or are cheap like me and don't want to spend an arm/leg) for the name brand, Converse-type are great subs.
  • trudie_b
    trudie_b Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks everyone! I've spotted some awesome black leather studded Cons on eBay, I'm going to get those bad boys!