High snack rate?

Options
Hello, does anyone else eat a lot of snacks (still within cals though)? My snack intake is much higher than meals and I wondered if it's a bad thing or not... I guess it isn't if I don't go over cals?? Seems a silly question now I've asked it!

Replies

• Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a snack after breakfast, after lunch and one marked as Dessert. I rather break up the caloric intake instead of sitting down to eat 3 huge meals.. but thats what works for "ME". :happy:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much every 1-2 hours, so I'd say yes, I have a high snack rate. I compensate for it with smaller main meals. It keeps me from getting hungry and gives me energy.

As long as you're under your calories, it doesn't matter.
  • lpirie
    lpirie Posts: 24
    Options
    I think its good for your metabolism to be eating a lot of small meals. I do the same thing. I snack on baby carrots a lot and fruit.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Most of my days, the majority of my calories come from snacks. I eat pretty healthy snacks, but a lot of them throughout most days. I think if you stay within your calorie goal, and eat healthy, it doesn't matter if it's spread throughout the day, or lumped in to 3 meals.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Letting go of the snacking was my hardest thing-still is. Some people get by on the 5-6 meals, I gain weight on it. My problem has always been snack all day and eat hardly anything with nutritional benefit.

I guess it's what works for you, if you are getting all the vitamins you need and if you're ok with it. Now I have 3 meals. Sometimes a snack. It works for me.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    Eating lots of snacks worked for me.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    As long as it's healthy, small portioned, and stays within your calorie budget then it's fine. It's way better than eating 3 big meals a day. Plus it keeps your metabolism on overdrive. Just make sure your incorporating some workout time as well:) Goodluck!!
  • spampeg
    spampeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much every 1-2 hours, so I'd say yes, I have a high snack rate. I compensate for it with smaller main meals. It keeps me from getting hungry and gives me energy.

As long as you're under your calories, it doesn't matter.

That. I'm constantly eating or nibbling on something. I went from eating 2-3 huge meals that left me miserable to eating something small every hour or two. Carrots, celery, potato/veggie straws, watermelon, apples, you name it.
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm doing resistance training twice a week and swimming two or three times a week so am definitely earning the extra cals :-)
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. "Lunch" is spread out over most of the afternoon. I prefer it. If I eat too much at once I get sleepy and that's not so good at work. It also helps keep my metabolism going.
    As long at it's healthy food and you're within your calories, snack away!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yeah, especially in the afternoon. I was just trying to think about how to limit this. To maybe turn it into 5 meals instead of constant grazing between lunch and dinner. Maybe bring a sandwich or something more substantial for "snack".
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone snack as often as I do, but I eat something every half an hour usually... I still lose weight because I'm within my calories.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I feel like I'm constantly eating. I'm a grazer. I eat every 2-3 hours. The amount of calories I eat as snacks average to about the same as one meal. If you're eating healthy snacks and getting your protein and such in, you should be fine.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    yep I think we're ok as long as we're not going over calorie counts.