Soda / Diet soda / Alternatives

Options
13»

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's called "Coke" in the south because of Coca Cola (Atlanta).

Here's a neat little map that shows the distribution of colloquialisms for soft drinks:
    popsodacoke.jpg
  • mrswiggum
    mrswiggum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to drink at least three cans of Diet Coke a day. When I decided to cut soda from my diet, I really needed that fizziness, and water wasn't doing it for me. The vending machine at work has La Croix in it, and I rely on that when I really want a soda. It's carbonated flavored water. It's a little hard to get used to AT FIRST, because it's not a sugary, overly sweet taste, but it's fizzy and the flavors are pretty good once you get used to it not being soda. There is lemon, lime, grapefruit, berry, coconut, orange, etc. Check it out!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

The south. The south calls them all "Coke".

"Do you want a coke?"
    "Yeah."
    "What kind?"
    "Sprite." -- The south. :smiley:

Unless it's Dr. Pepper. Here in Texas it's Dr Pepper or Coke (everything else!)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lehach1 wrote: »
    It's not just the sugar content of soda that's detrimental to your health, it's the sodium content and artificial sweeteners too. Even diet soda is sabotaging your weight loss and your overall health. Also consider the carbonation keeps your belly bloated and stomach stretched. What you're REALLY craving when you drink soda is the sweetness. So if you absolutely cannot do without it, I suggest going to Crystal Light water supplement or some of the other water supplements. Plain water can get boring so I completely understand. Just keep an eye on the calories and avoid using it with every drop you drink. (75 lbs. lost here and consume one full calorie soda every once in a while...I don't really miss it).

Diet soda has as much sodium or slightly more than water.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I use various kinds of diet beverages. plain water is yucky to me.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't drink soft drinks (soda/pop/coke, whatever you like to call it) as a regular thing but I do like to get a big glass of soda water (unflavoured, fizzy water) when I go to the pub. It comes in a glass with ice and a slice of lemon and a straw and it's easier to have this to sip on that to say "no, nothing for me" and sit and watch other people drink and offer me things. I do still have a beer or cider from time to time, but this is a good alternative for me.
    Lemon lime and bitters is another good one to have at home when we have company, it's a social kind of drink. I don't get bothered by the cals in the lime cordial and the bitters but you could substitute diet lime cordial if you wanted to reduce the sugar content.
    When I'm on my own, I usually just drink water. Unless it's really hot - then I might have half juice/half soda water if I've been running or gardening and am feeling a bit wiped out.