winter v summer

Options
I started this journey in July & found it easier to lose weight in the warmer weather.

Cold water is not appealing in cold weather but I'm starting to drink more hot tea.

We did a lot of grilling outside in the warmer weather but my winter go to recipes tend to be casseroles & crock pit meals. I'm trying to figure out how to lighten them up.

Even going to the gym is harder. At the end of the day I don't want to add another stop that has me in & out of the car & in the cold. I'd rather just go home & curl up under the blanket on the couch. I have never been disciplined enough to work out at home.

Does anybody else experience this? What are your tips & tricks to get through the winter without the hibernation weight?

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I sometime lure myself to the gym by saying I'll use the sauna afterwards. But then I'm all heated up from the workout so I just go home. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Zwift.

• FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is much harder in the winter months to get it together. I also want to just go home, get in sweats, and curl up on my couch with my coloring book and gel pens haha. I do workout at home so if you could start doing that instead of going to the gym (at least during the winter months) it might help because it would mean not having to make an extra stop. As soon as I get home from work, I put on my workout clothes (right after feeding the cat and dog). Then a drink a hot cup of black coffee to wake up after being at work for 10 hours and then start my workout.

I also make a lot of crockpot meals during the winter. I think I have used my crockpot for meal prep every weekend for the last two months. I made mexican chicken yesterday-weighed and measured everything and it is 210 calories per serving. There are lots of healthy recipes to make in the crockpot!

I just try to keep in mind the phrase, "Summer bodies are made in the winter."
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    I drink hot tea instead of infused water
    I go to the gym early in the morning , before my day starts
    I change to fuller,denser meals for the winter , ( i.e sardines with quinoa instead of tuna; warm soup instead of raw salad; etc)
    I hope it helps
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Most definitely!

I like soups--and try to stick to stock-and-veggie recipes and avoid those that use heavy cream or lots of starches (like barley, rice, or noodles.)

As for casseroles and crock pots, in addition to lightening recipes by using lots of veggies and cutting out or eliminating the fats and starches, the trick for me is portion size. On a drizzly winter day there's nothing like a BIG ole pile of chili or chicken enchilada casserole . . but if I'm not careful, I'll eat 3 servings instead of one! I need to be vigilant about weighing and measuring the ingredients as they go in, and then weighing the final batch to determine what an appropriate serving size is.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite and I live in the Northeast. I always gain weight in the summer due to backyard BBQS, beer, music festivals (more beer) and it's too nice out to be inside a gym. I'm always at my leanest come April, after I've been working out all winter and not socializing so much. I tend to eat the same boring stuff no matter the time of year, so Winter is easier for me - less distractions!
  • Decapins
    Decapins Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    yeah, i lost weight in august and i've basically been stalling all fall and winter
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. Since it got cold I have absolutely zero desire to work out or stick to my calories. It's a daily struggle.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I don't have the motivation to work out from home but I do make sure to go the gym, and deliberately chose one that was on my way home from work, even though it's about 30 min drive from home if I'm not working that day. The bottom line is I want to get rid of this weight, and get fit and healthy, so while I have my treats I do try and make the right choices the majority of the time.

Living in Ireland we may only get 3 days that are worth spending outside so I use the oven and grill a lot.

I drink plain boiled water as I struggle to drink cold water and I only drink flavoured/herb tea, or coffee not black tea.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get a countertop Foreman grill so you can grill year round. Check out Goodwill or a thrift store.
    Drink room temperature water if refrigerator water is too cold.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I can't ride my bike because of the snowy icy roads and that is my favorite calorie burning activity. I have been plodding along since the beginning of December, trying to make my calorie goals, but definitely not as successfully as I did in summer. I still log every single thing though, so when I get out of hibernation mode I will be set to go! :smiley:
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My thing is it's too HOT in the summer, no central AC can be a killer when trying to workout. But i also then can go swimming... both have its up's and down and bring about a refreshing change, i think.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix Arizona and I tend to gain weight in the summer because it's so hot outside and I don't like to go out in 115° weather.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It was easier to eat a lot of fresh produce in summer. Filling up on lower calorie foods was easier.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    daves05 wrote: »
    I live in Phoenix Arizona and I tend to gain weight in the summer because it's so hot outside and I don't like to go out in 115° weather.

How funny I'm in Phoenix too and I'm just the opposite. I love going out in the summer especially to swim! Wearing shorts and swimsuits makes me very motivated to workout and stick to my calories.
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way. My appetite is so much lower during the summer because it is so hot and I am out and about so much I rarely am tempted to snack due to boredom.

My only way to convince myself to go to the gym in the winter is to sign up for stuff or buy stuff. This sounds silly but signing up for a race makes me not want to waste money by not training and buying say a new pair of leggings makes me want to have the chance to wear them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually put on 8-10 Lbs every winter due to an overall decrease in activity (both exercise and general). I have an indoor cycle trainer, and I use it, but I don't ride as much as when the weather is nice. With the shorter days and colder days I'm also just out and about less.

Fortunately, the weather starts to turn more favorable here in February, so thing start ramping up in regards to my training and getting out and just doing more stuff like going to the zoo instead of sitting around watching football, etc...it comes right off by late April usually.