Aldi shopping

Options

Replies

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aldi "Unconvincible". Nothing seems much better or a lot cheaper than where I normally shop. About the only thing I'd buy is Haribo lollies because they're cheap.

I'm an Aldi "On the Fence" type. We have three of them within a 10 mile radius of me and one of them is brand new and really nice. Their produce, to me, just doesn't look that great (but not awful either). Some of it is definitely a lot cheaper (cucumbers come to mind), but other things like bagged salads are the same price as Wegman's. Otherwise, there's not a lot of things that appeal to me there to even purchase. I did buy a lot during Christmas time as I did like some of their holiday offerings.
  • NisaB
    NisaB Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi! It's great because they are carrying a ton more organic items. I can get everything I need for overnight oats organic and cheap! :) I also like some of their fit active snacks.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's for produce, but agree with others that you tend to have to use it the day of. I love their nut and dried fruit selection. Cheeses are also cheap there, too. Their Kirkwood brand (or Kirkland, I don't remember) make great turkey sausages. The Happy Farm brand should be avoided at all cost. YUCK!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My Aldi is the opposite as far as produce goes - everything is so unripe that you have to plan what produce you're going to want to eat a week in advance! I have a papaya that I bought almost two weeks ago there that I'm still waiting on. Everything's good, though! I've never bought anything there that was truly terrible, and I love that they're carrying more organic and gluten free items. They have about the best price on organic/grassfed ground beef in town, and their wild-caught seafood is really good.

Mostly, I just like that I can pretty much buy whatever I want when I go into the store and not have to stick to my list and still be able to leave for under $100.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Their hummus and spicy guacamole is amazing. I get almond milk there too, usually $1 or more cheaper than other places.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    I just recently started going back to Aldi's. They are so cheap here and you can't beat the fresh produce. Great Cheese selection as well. I bought some of their "Fiber-one Brownies", have not tried them yet, so we will see how they compare. I couldn't pass it up for only $1.49....:)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I cut my grocery bill by a third shopping at Aldi .25 cents eggs $1.25 milk gallon 93/7 meat $4.19 lb ground turkey $$1.99 for 19 ounces just a Fantastic store..
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to Aldi I have to go to my regular grocery store afterward to get the stuff Aldi doesn't have. They've only been open here for less than a year, so hopefully they'll start getting more variety in.

You will always have to do that. They are a bit random and don't carry the same range as bigger places ... But what they have is usually good prices - their frozen prawns are a steal compared to other shops and this week they had little bunches of asparagus (170g) for 59p. Also had mange tout and baby sweetcorn at that price ... great stuff for stir fry etc. I am experimenting with their ground coffee too - at 1/2 the price of my fave brand I think it is not bad!

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I just recently started going back to Aldi's. They are so cheap here and you can't beat the fresh produce. Great Cheese selection as well. I bought some of their "Fiber-one Brownies", have not tried them yet, so we will see how they compare. I couldn't pass it up for only $1.49....:)

The brownies are gorgeous, but wayyy too small, rather have proper chocolate for the calories.
  • peanutbuttertuesday
    Options
    Their produce always goes bad before I can make use of it all, so I rarely buy Aldi produce. As for other items, I am an avid couponer and buy name brands cheaper than the off brands. Aldi is pretty awesome but I've found options that suit me much better!
  • Strawblackcat
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Nope, there will always be things they don't have that you will have to go to another store to get

I actually like that aspect about them. It's easy to get in and out quickly, and I get the chance to run by Kroger or something afterwards for the other stuff that I couldn't get at Aldi (fresh herbs, specialty produce, organic chicken, ect). I don't understand why they don't carry organic chicken, though. They have organic beef - why no chicken?

I just really like grocery shopping. Going to the store is seriously the high point of my week.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's! They have different things every week. Especially the non-food household items. I got a HRM for 12 bucks once.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    They just opened one near me in SoCal, and I was pretty keen being a Brit, but there was not a lot of reasons for me to go back again. I bought canned tomatoes and they tasted like dirt.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Nope, there will always be things they don't have that you will have to go to another store to get

I actually like that aspect about them. It's easy to get in and out quickly, and I get the chance to run by Kroger or something afterwards for the other stuff that I couldn't get at Aldi (fresh herbs, specialty produce, organic chicken, ect). I don't understand why they don't carry organic chicken, though. They have organic beef - why no chicken?

I just really like grocery shopping. Going to the store is seriously the high point of my week.

Mine carries organic chicken.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    They have awesome chocolate covered pretzels. I but like 5 bags at a time @ 1.29 a piece lol.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Our Aldi is great, the veggies are fresh and stay fresh for ages, although I do check the raspberries VERY carefully as I have seen mouldy ones on the shelf!
    Fortunately we have a Morrison's and a Co-op nearby to get the little things that Aldi does not sell, but for the most part they usually have everything I need.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    They just opened one near me in SoCal, and I was pretty keen being a Brit, but there was not a lot of reasons for me to go back again. I bought canned tomatoes and they tasted like dirt.

They have a double money back guarantee. That sounds like a one off issue not a store wide problem.
  • Strawblackcat
    Options

Mine carries organic chicken.

Really? Mine only has that no antibiotic/free range chicken that isn't much better than conventional. You're so lucky!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't get the obsession with Aldi- the produce doesn't last as long- and the prices really aren't that much better than the grocery store.

I buy the exact same things at the regular store- the price is about the same quite frankly.

I think the biggest difference is a grocery store has way more stuff that you're like to buy- so you over all spend more than a grocery store.
    But really- the cost is about the same if you buy the same stuff and shop smart.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like aldi because its usually quick to shop and there is less riff raff product to sift through to get to what I want. I like the simplicity because I'm an impulse shopper. At aldi I can go in with a list and come out with approximately what I wrote down lol. I do avoid it on peak hours/days though because restocking of the produce and meat is pretty slow. Bonus: they always have boneless, skinless chicken thighs!