Is there any value in buying ''special'' foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Remember that there's a lot of $$$ that is made by companies for promoting the "miracle food" or "superfood" of the moment. There is a lot of marketing that goes on to try to sell you on stuff. Whether it's the oat bran of the 1980s or the chia seeds of today. Even something as cheap as vinegar makes more of a profit when it's touted by magazines, chat boards and the like.

There's nothing really wrong with anything you bought, but it sounds like you didn't really need or love any of those things, either. And if grocery budget is an issue, the money spent on some of those things might have been better spent on some high quality healthy food you would like.

Here's the other thing that is often not considered: it sounds like very little of these purchases were done with any guidance from an actual qualified professional. This isn't a criticism! It's just that a lot of hoo-doo is out there about nutrition that is total crap and it makes it sound like eating healthy is much more complicated than it really is.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The value of special foods is that you keep the economy moving by making other people rich.

Seriously: You can absolutely eat healthy foods on a budget. In fact, you can save yourself money while loseing weight, by NOT buying a lot of foods you might have been eating before, like packaged treats, high-calorie snacks, and restaurant foods.

Think about it: if there was some Magic Ingredient that would make people skinny, would *anyone* be fat?

It's absolutely true that nutrition is important, but there really are no magic foods from which you MUST get specific nutrition.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Nope not really, unless you really like them a lot.

It's better to get your nutrients from real (whole) fruits and vegetables and meats such as chicken and salmon. But you can lose weight by eating anything within your calorie limits... it's not necessarily healthy to eat whatever you want (such as McDonald's) but you could still lose weight if that's your only goal.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I currently have coconut oil, chia seeds, protein powder, fish oil and LSA.

To be honest, I can't afford to include these things in my diet (What the beep am I doing?!?), but I feel like they will put me to an advantage.

I brought the coconut oil because someone said if you mix two tablespoons with a cup of warm water, then drink a litre of water it will stop cravings and stop hunger (it didn't work for me).

I brought the chia seeds because they were supposed to expand and make meals more filling, but the most recent ones I got didn't expand at all, and in the past, I don't think its made me any less hungry. I have tried having them with rolled oats and in smoothies. The taste wasn't great.

I brought the protein powder because I wanted a quick, easy source of protein that could be a bit of a treat. I guess I'm not very good with nutrition.

I brought the fish oil, because it was supposed to help with symptoms of my Bipolar, which it did for a while, but when I stopped taking it I started having weird hallucinations as I was waking up.

I got the LSA because my sibling uses it and it was recommended in some meal plans I was given, as a source of fat.

I don't really know what I'm doing. I want to feel fill and satisfied, but I should be eating on a much smaller budget. What should I do?

I was going to switch the type of milk I used to a non dairy source, but the alternatives cost up to 8x as much. The milk I use is watered down a lot anyway.

I use all of those but LSA.

Did you soak the chia seeds in a little water first? I add soaked chia seeds to my smoothies and do think this makes them more filling, but a cheaper source of fiber might do the trick as well.

I use protein powder to help meet my protein goals, etc., etc. I do shop around for cheapest prices.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough nutrition and your dr isn't recommending them, meh. They all have uses in their own way, but aren't necessary.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    The foods, definitely not. So called "superfoods" are unnecessary and one of the reasons people think it's expensive to eat healthy. Eat a variety of whole foods including lots of veggies, lean protein and healthy fats and you'll will be okay.

I've fallen into that trap it seems

It's an easy one to fall into with the amount of marketing that goes into these types of products. I will add that protein powder can be a good, convenient and economical source of getting more protein into your diet. The key is to look for one that is mainly protein (at least 80%). A good tip is to avoid ones that are marketed specifically to women or specifically for weight loss etc. as you generally pay more and protein is protein (although quality and taste varies).
  • Brenda4fitness
    Brenda4fitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are low carb, and a higher protein take, trips to the bathroom can be difficult. Instead of coconut oil you can just add a teaspoon of olive oil to a meal to get your fat and the bonus is it helps in the toilet. The other things, I don't know. Nuts and seeds hurt my stomach so I avoid them. That's all I got for ya. LOL
  • Meg_DeLaCruz
    Meg_DeLaCruz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get caught up in all that... instead focus on taking small steps to improving your food choices. You'll learn that after logging for a while you are more incline to pick more nutritious food. Logging also helps you determine if you are missing something from your diet such as .. iron or protein... whatever the case may be - then you can look for supplemental type stuff. In the mean time save your money for the healthy food you'll need to buy! :-)