Hello! I'm trying again to loose some pounds. I have difficulties of mobility due parkinson desease.

Options
How to loose pounds having difficulties on mobility?

Replies

• orangeyellowkayak
    orangeyellowkayak Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been on MFP before. I went away for too long and gained all my weight back. I don't know a lot about Parkinsons but hopefully I can be encouraging to you and then you to me. What's the 67 for? your age or could it be when you were born? or none of my business? I'm 62 and looking for someone that is not 20 something with more in common to talk about. Young ones are nice but I'm just not that cool any more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Just enter your stats (age, gender, weight, desired weight loss goal) and then log your food on the food page. If you stay under your calorie goal you will lose weight.

What does your doctor say about getting some exercise, though? I would think it would be good for you, regardless of the Parkinsons.
  • mjsthing
    mjsthing Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Come join us in the Lose 1 pound a Week group,. for extra motivation. Exercise when you can, but don't obsess over it. And yes, log food and stay under your calorie goal. @joancamps67
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How to loose pounds having difficulties on mobility?

Welcome

No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight and you can determine your calorie allotment accordingly. Basically, set MPF and use "sedentary".

One thought though: Do you have access to a pool? I take a water aerobics class and frequently see people with mobility issues come into the pool. Some are OK walking or swimming in the water by themselves (with or without a noodle for balance), some have someone with them, many use the swim belts and go into the deeper water where they "walk" without there feet touching the bottom of the pool.

Do you have some type of insurance? Many (including Medicare Advantage plans) include free access to the YMCA or other health clubs. Do you have regular PT? Ask if they have a recommendation for a PT who does water therapy.

Just a thought based on my observations.
  • Valie123
    Valie123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am new here and trying to lose weight before spinal fusion surgery. I also have limited exercise options. I have been tracking for 20 days and weighed the same for two weeks. I need to lose 25 by April. So I am frustrated but determined to keep on tracking my food. My son is also my buddy and sends encouraging comments. To walk 2000 sets a day is a big achievement. Thank you for listening / reading.