How many times have to done this weight loss thing?

Options
Is there anyone out there who has done this weight loss thing more than once, twice, three times, etc....I have done this so many times I think I have destroyed my metabolism. No matter what I do or try the weight just hangs on now like a battle between good and evil. I have done every diet under the sun and have been successful, from low carb to taking the dangerous weight loss drugs. Now, I have heart valve damage and I must take this weight off. I am about 205lbs now and would like to be 160lbs, A few years ago I was crying because I was at 186lbs and thought OMG how did I let this happen, and 192lbs creep up on me, and now I am sitting here at 205lbs and totally miserable. I just don't know what to do, it is like some nightmare I can't wake up from does anyone have any advise for a yo-yo dieter at her wits end!

Replies

• a_q_u_a_lizard
    Options
    story of my life...i have been on and off the wagon so many times i cant even keep track..basically my whole life. i think what helps me stay on track is not looking like it as a diet. more like just living healthy and allowing myself a treat now and then.
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    Options
    ive done this 3 or 4 + times...so dont feel bad....
  • maiituu
    maiituu Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is my 5th time, every time it was simple for me, good diet, nothing extreme just watch what I was eating by staying away from restaurants and fast food joints, and exercising 5xs per week, this time is easier thanks to MFP. I've never been too fond of diet pills and extreme diets but not everyone is the same.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Dont make it a diet, make it a lifestyle change. Make the goal and vow to research healthy portion sizes and to make the switch from pre-processed foods (even the so called diet ones) to a more natural, preservative free life style. There are tons of tips in the forums to make it easier and you will learn some as you go. DONT DEPRIVE YOURSELF. that will cause you to fail quicker then anything else, learna proper portion size for your vices and dont keep them around (that ice cream really is not as tempting when you have to go to the store at 10pm to get it) Learn the new healthy foods you like and dont be afraid to try something new! With having a heart condition a more natural, lower sodium diet, will be VERY beneficial to you. I have a friend who had to eliminate sodium after her mother had a heart attack and was found to have more heart problems. She was living with her so she made the diet changes as well. In 2 months she lost 15 lbs simply by learning to make things no/low sodium. She admitted to me it was a healthier eating style period, and she loves the side benefits of continuing to lose.

MANY of us have yo-yoed and still have hiccups/off-days. Build a support network that will help you through it. Remember a hiccup doesnt mean you "failed" it means start again with the next food choice, or the next day
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    this is my 2nd time

i was always a chubby teen and when i hit 21 i had enough and joined a gym...i got down to 126lbs and had(in my opinion) my perfect body...then i had kids and gained all of the weight back that i lost..so i'm back to trying to lose it all again, and then some more
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Second time here. Although the first time round, I didn't really have any clear goals or any kind of plan, just a vague feeling that I should eat less food. Lost about 12 pounds last time and it tailed off and sneakily crept back on plus a bit more.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - You have to change the way you view it. It isn't a diet where you feel like you are being neglected. Look at it as a lifestyle change and you are still allowed to have a treat every once in a while. Take it one day at a time and set small goals that are reachable. Get the first 10lbs off and treat yourself with something...none food wise. Then move to the next and so on and on. Start out with 30 minutes of walking everyday and then move up from there when you feel you are physically able.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    This is literally my bazillionth time around. My current profile pic was during one of my diet fads; lost it, gained it back and more. :)
  • angelaclev
    angelaclev Posts: 95
    Options
    I dieted once before when I was in highschool... I went from 199 to 125... now it has came and I am doing it again...lol...
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    This is not my first rodeo......................................................................... u.u
  • Dcharnice
    Dcharnice Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Too many times!!!! But came to an understanding that I was going about it wrong. In the beginning, I wanted the quick & easy results and I got them. Also received: a short time in the hospital with one and ALL the weight back with the others. Slow and steady is the way to go. Happy to be teaching myself a new way to live my life.
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh My You Are So Singing My Song Right NoW!!!!.. I was crying about being 180 something then I got to 200 and one day I could have sworn I saw 205. I didn't eat for like two days. I freaked out so bad it wasn't even funny. Now I'm flautacting with the weight again but at least it's a constant 195/196 but dang...I haven't even worked out enough or at enough or to little to pleatu so what the heck. Add me if you would like...=-) And believe me youl I am making a lifestyle change but it's just so freaking hard to lose it right now.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    T N T C
  • Shawnda1730
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the post, it is really helpful to know that I am not alone in the struggle. I am so glad to hear that so many people are on the same page and that people are still winning this battle no matter how many times we've tried! This gives me what I need to continue on!
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    Oh my, I know exactually how you feel. I was in the Marine Corp and had a perfect little body. Then I went through cancer and all that went out the door. I did not gain the weight right away, it was really slow until my thyroid went nuts. Then I started gaining weight. It did not matter what I did, I gained weight. It was from having the thyroid messed up. Once I got that under control, I had to start the frustrating job of loosing the weight. I was all the way up to 225lbs, I am now down to 186lbs. It has taken me 3 years just to get here, but I have not gained any of it back.

What did I do? I DID NOT DIET!!!!!! I changed my lifestyle. I had to learn portion control. I had to learn eat till I was satisfied not stuffed and to eat more often, because when you eat because you are "starving" you tend to over eat. I have been exercising. That is another issue all together. But I am getting there. That is the point.

I refuse to diet...I choose to change my diet. Honey you have to do the same, or you are going to keep doing the yo-yo thing. I pray that you do well and that you get a revelation of this.

God bless
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i went on a diet once when i was 15 or 16. my mom was dieting and so i just ate what she ate for the most part. I got down to 92-94 pounds, despite eating tons of junk food when she wasn't around. HA HA!

This is my second time dieting though. I got up to 124 pounds (overweight for my height), and my blood pressure became high, I would wake up drenched in sweat, and had difficulty breathing. Most of the weight didn't go to my stomach, so I ignored it, until my mom pointed out I was developing a double chin (and I found out about my blood pressure).

Now I actually care about my overall health and am trying to cut out junk food for the most part (used to eat 1,000-2,000 calories in junk food per day easily). So although this is my second time losing weight, I see it from a different perspective this time -- I want to get healthy, not just lose weight! :drinker:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight several times before! Don't give up
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    How many Mondays have there been between today and January 1st, 2005?

That many.
  • fitspren
    fitspren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is my first serious attempt at dieting. I looked through all sorts of diets such as low-fat, Atkins, paleo, etc until finally deciding to do the keto diet. In less than two months I've lost around 18 pounds while eating things I love and doing minimal exercise. It's a complete lifestyle change and it's utterly worth it! Find a diet that suits you and remember it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary thing. Good luck!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Everyday since I was born. I starved myself in high school just to gain it back after kids. I am learning that instead of wanting fast results with short term outcomes, I will take the time for long term results. I am still anxious and want it now though! :grumble: